Bluebox performance

Submit all your BlueBox related questions or report a bug here!

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

Nero

Bluebox performance

Postby Nero » 21 Jan 2008, 14:05

Hello,
i read in BlueBox docs that "allowing near real-time performance!"
Very useful for me because I'm developing various turn based games but also a real time "tennis like" game.
Using standard smartfox connection I cannot go under 200ms, too less for real time, my hope was to resolve using bluebox... but at the moment seems that I'm wrong...
I'm forcing bluebox connection and I send a message with ball position every 100 or 150 ms, the client do interpolation to move the ball, trying to set the poll speed to various values (50-100-150...)... but performance are worst than standard connection, I receive packets every 200-300ms sometimes with 1sec holes and commons lost of connection... I tested this in two different networks with very fast internet connection!

I hope that I did something wrong cause I think BlueBox it's the only way to do a real time game using smartfox

Thank you very much!!
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 21 Jan 2008, 20:12

Using standard smartfox connection I cannot go under 200ms, too less for real time, my hope was to resolve using bluebox... but at the moment seems that I'm wrong...

I think there is a misunderstanding here.
The BlueBox can't do better than a socket connection. When we say "near real-time performance" we mean lag times that are usually seen in socket connected games, between 90-100ms and 200ms

In very good network conditions you can get lag values of 30-40ms.
These are superb values which will make your realtime game fly. Under more normal conditions you would probably get something between 70-140ms. which is still good and should not affect your game.
With lag values of 200-250ms or more you will probably start seeing some "hiccups" (it depends on the type of game) and if the lag increases the gameplay will suffer.

The BlueBox can't beat the socket connection because the network lag is something you have to leave with and the best way to reduce is to use persistent connections over TCP or use the UDP protocol... which is not supported by Flash.

What the BlueBox does is helping people who can't use persistent connections by tunnelling the messages in http packets in a smart way that still allows for near-real time ping times.

For more informations read the related BlueBox articles in our documentation
Lapo
--
gotoAndPlay()
...addicted to flash games

Return to “BlueBox”