Manually editing Zone XML file?

Post here your questions about SFS2X. Here we discuss all server-side matters. For client API questions see the dedicated forums.

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

moccha

Manually editing Zone XML file?

Postby moccha » 22 Sep 2020, 20:33

I would like to copy and paste a few rooms with complex settings. I used to be able to just open up the x.zone.xml file and then copy and paste the <room>...</room> xml as much as I like.

However, after updating a few versions this no longer works. I have tried several editors and checked the encoding, but whenever save and then I boot the server, a timer always throws a random error. However, if I add the room with the Configurator tool, I don't get any errors. Any idea what's happening here?
Lapo
Site Admin

Re: Manually editing Zone XML file?

Postby Lapo » 23 Sep 2020, 08:03

Hi,
nothing has changed in terms of XML definitions. We've been using the same parsing mechanism since the early days of SFS2X, so you can still copy and paste your Room definitions.

The only recommendation would be to avoid porting XML across widely different versions of SFS2X, especially when porting from a recent version back to and old one. This is because we may have introduced new definitions that are not understood in previous versions.

Other than that you should be good to go.
If you're still seeing errors, please post the relevant message and XML code.

Thanks
Lapo
--
gotoAndPlay()
...addicted to flash games
moccha

Re: Manually editing Zone XML file?

Postby moccha » 23 Sep 2020, 17:39

I think I found it. Sorry for the problems.

Code: Select all

[pool-1-thread-2] Extensions     - {game}: Error running global timer.null

This was thrown because I tried referencing a room var that didn't exist. The server was checking a certain room ID and changing the room order caused the room var to be incorrect.

Thank you for clarifying and helping me.

Return to “SFS2X Questions”