Force Login possibilities

Need help with SmartFoxServer? You didn't find an answer in our documentation? Please, post your questions here!

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

mistermind

Force Login possibilities

Postby mistermind » 17 Dec 2007, 19:25

Hello there all mighty SFS staff!
I searched around a lot in the forum, but I just couldn't find a clear solution for this small issue.
Is there a easy way to make a "force login" feature? I read in some other topic there was a "not so safe" scenario where when the user logs in, the system logs as a moderator, search if the username is taken, kick it, then logs back as the user.
Another solution presented by Lapo was the use of client extensions that would constantly ping the user so he wouldn't drop, and then having the idle time changed to 2 minutes. That is a GREAT solution, but unfortunately I have some old clients spread out through some websites which I have no control off, and making that addition to a new client would cause a massive amount of trouble to old client users.

Of course, as you may probably guess, my system is database dependable where the system validates the login through script extensions then tries to login, so a feature like that would be very handy.

So, overall, I stubborn upon the question:
Is there a simpler way, server side or client side, that would allow me to implement a "force login" without the need of a complicated or unsafe scenario?
PS: Examples are awesome :) I'll send you a puppy if you do! :D
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 17 Dec 2007, 20:25

Another solution presented by Lapo was the use of client extensions that would constantly ping the user so he wouldn't drop, and then having the idle time changed to 2 minutes. That is a GREAT solution, but unfortunately I have some old clients spread out through some websites which I have no control off, and making that addition to a new client would cause a massive amount of trouble to old client users.

As you said this is the way to go. I don't see what's the problem with the other websites... can't you just send them the update?
Lapo
--
gotoAndPlay()
...addicted to flash games
mistermind

Postby mistermind » 17 Dec 2007, 21:02

Right now its almost impossible to even control the old versions. After I created an undependable version of the engine websites everywhere stared posting the SWF.
I'd say, if that is not very hard, in a future upgrade, make a small paramether on login() so it can force a login, disconnecting the user connected to that name. That would be a great addition to the many users who use SFS with a database system :)
Believe me that is a nice touch.
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 18 Dec 2007, 07:11

Yep, I think we'll add it soon.

The problem is that this could be implemented only on the server side not client side.(in other words PRO = ok, BASIC = not possible)
Otherwise a hacker would be able to throw random names at the server and force their logout.

Btw: A patch is coming very soon which will bring the BASIC edition up to par with the latest PRO 1.5.9
1.5.9 fixed many of the ghost connection problems found in earlier versions
Lapo

--

gotoAndPlay()

...addicted to flash games
mistermind

Postby mistermind » 18 Dec 2007, 17:32

Cool thanks a lot Lapo :)
After that update I'll possibly migrate to PRO since I'm currently using 1.5.5 Basic.
Just hope I don't have to mess too much with my config file or the engine :)

Return to “SmartFoxServer 1.x Discussions and Help”