BlueBox is not working

Submit all your BlueBox related questions or report a bug here!

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

Yu

BlueBox is not working

Postby Yu » 16 Oct 2007, 16:23

Hi,

We are using SmartfoxServer for our online kids virtual world game. One of biggest issue is the firewall issue since most of the big corporations and education institutions have strict firewall settings, so they couldn't access our game. So I tried out this BlueBox thing, which seems promising, but it seems that it's not working for me. Here is the couple of things I found:

1. I have no problem to connect to the server through BlueBox all the time, which is good;

2. But sometimes (not quite often) the there is no response from the server for the login request;

3. sometimes (quite often) there is no response for the join room request from the server;

4. the connection get lost if the user is idle for a couple of minutes even if I set the maxUserIdleTime to couple of hours. This happened pretty consistently;

I don't know if someone else tested it out and found these issues too. Please advise.

Thanks,
Yu
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 16 Oct 2007, 17:31

Hello Yu,
it would be great if you could send us the SFS log files so we can better see what is happening. You can zip them and send them via email.

We'll take a look asap.

Thanks
Lapo
--
gotoAndPlay()
...addicted to flash games
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 16 Oct 2007, 17:34

4. the connection get lost if the user is idle for a couple of minutes even if I set the maxUserIdleTime to couple of hours. This happened pretty consistently;

There are some extra settings in the bluebox.properties file that you should be aware of. Please read the beta docs -> http://www.smartfoxserver.com/labs/bluebox/#700

You should modify the client_idle_time according to your maxUserIdleTime settings. The final release will auto-detect the setting and use it by default
Lapo

--

gotoAndPlay()

Yu

Found something

Postby Yu » 17 Oct 2007, 14:36

Lapo wrote:Hello Yu,
it would be great if you could send us the SFS log files so we can better see what is happening. You can zip them and send them via email.

We'll take a look asap.

Thanks

I looked at the log files, nothing was abnormal. But after I changed the default httpPollSpeed from 750 to 500 or lower, it seemed to be working fine. I don't know why this caused no response from the server for the joinRoom request. Maybe you have some insight into this.

Thanks,
Yu
Yu

Postby Yu » 17 Oct 2007, 14:42

Lapo wrote:

There are some extra settings in the bluebox.properties file that you should be aware of. Please read the beta docs -> http://www.smartfoxserver.com/labs/bluebox/#700

You should modify the client_idle_time according to your maxUserIdleTime settings. The final release will auto-detect the setting and use it by default

What's the difference between client_idle_time and client_idle_request_time?
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 17 Oct 2007, 14:57

I looked at the log files, nothing was abnormal. But after I changed the default httpPollSpeed from 750 to 500 or lower, it seemed to be working fine. I don't know why this caused no response from the server for the joinRoom request. Maybe you have some insight into this.

Sounds a little odd. Let us know if you see any errors in the server or client that might refer to the join action.

What's the difference between client_idle_time and client_idle_request_time?

client_idle_time
This value monitors the interval between two requests, including polling.
With this value the BlueBox monitors the activity of the client and if he's not getting prompt responses it will disconnect the user.
This value rarely needs to be changed and it should be = 30 (seconds)

client_idle_request_time
This is the threshold after which the client is considered "sleepy" and we can disconnect him.
Lapo

--

gotoAndPlay()

Yu

Postby Yu » 17 Oct 2007, 19:59

After I played it around, actually the client_idle_request_time should be corresponding to the maxUserIdleTime setting, not the client_idle_time.

Return to “BlueBox”