IP banning?

Need help with SmartFoxServer? You didn't find an answer in our documentation? Please, post your questions here!

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

AlexLangan

IP banning?

Postby AlexLangan » 23 Mar 2014, 12:20

As i said in my previous topic (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16987&p=73621#p73621) i had a few problems with a guy who sends load of XML packets that causes the server to crash, will basically players cannot login, so it's not much of a crash.

This error spams like 10 times per second: http://prntscr.com/2zzchj
I tried logging everything and this spammed as well: http://prntscr.com/32irno

You see there is an IP address there and i think it's the IP of whoever does this.

So my question is, is there a way to ban this ip so he can no longer do this?
Lapo
Site Admin

Re: IP banning?

Postby Lapo » 25 Mar 2014, 08:35

Hi,
it sounds pretty strange that a single client can spam the server so hard that he can stop the login process. Either the attacker is using lots and lots of connections (hundreds) or there's something else going on.

I would investigate the problem at a lower level monitoring the network and, at the very minimum, identifying the attacker's IP(s).
Then the best thing is to use a firewall to get rid of the malicious hacker.
Lapo
--
gotoAndPlay()
...addicted to flash games
AlexLangan

Postby AlexLangan » 25 Mar 2014, 17:10

Lapo wrote:Hi,
it sounds pretty strange that a single client can spam the server so hard that he can stop the login process. Either the attacker is using lots and lots of connections (hundreds) or there's something else going on.

I would investigate the problem at a lower level monitoring the network and, at the very minimum, identifying the attacker's IP(s).
Then the best thing is to use a firewall to get rid of the malicious hacker.

Which kind of firewall, windows firewall or any other that will not affect my game
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 25 Mar 2014, 20:06

I am not sure if Windows firewall will be sufficient. That's a "personal firewall" which is good enough for basic protection of a desktop system.
For a server you will probably need to look into a pro solution. Normally hosting providers can set up a firewall for you or they already have one installer which can be configured.
Lapo

--

gotoAndPlay()

...addicted to flash games
AlexLangan

Postby AlexLangan » 26 Mar 2014, 11:12

Lapo wrote:I am not sure if Windows firewall will be sufficient. That's a "personal firewall" which is good enough for basic protection of a desktop system.
For a server you will probably need to look into a pro solution. Normally hosting providers can set up a firewall for you or they already have one installer which can be configured.

Okay, i will try to ask my hosting providers, thank you for your help.
zachofthegolden1

Postby zachofthegolden1 » 29 Sep 2014, 03:02

A way to do it culd be by setting up a ip ban section. On my server i made a section where ips can be banned and once banned if they visit the game it will automatially ban their accounts soon as they created it and prevent logging in.
-ZG1

Return to “SmartFoxServer 1.x Discussions and Help”