SFS 1.x license server on Amazon EC2

Need help with SmartFoxServer? You didn't find an answer in our documentation? Please, post your questions here!

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

eczkchtl

SFS 1.x license server on Amazon EC2

Postby eczkchtl » 18 Sep 2013, 13:26

Hi,

We'd like to host the license server for SFS Pro 1.x on Amazon EC2. Is that possible using Amazon's "Elastic Network Interfaces"? See: http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/latest/UserGuide/using-eni.html. It looks like that gives us a static private IP.

Has anyone tried this?

Cheers,
Peter
rjgtav

Re: SFS 1.x license server on Amazon EC2

Postby rjgtav » 20 Sep 2013, 23:21

Hi Peter,

Yes, it is possible to install SmartFoxServer Pro on an Amazon EC2 instance.
Some users have already tried it, and the best way to find their experience is by making a search on the forums:
search.php?keywords=amazon+ec2&fid%5B0%5D=1

Cheers
Skills: SFS Pro, SFS2X, AS2.0/AS3.0, Java, HTML5/CSS3/JS, C#
Portfolio: https://rjgtav.wordpress.com/
SFS Tutorials: http://sfs-tutor.blogspot.com/ - Discontinued. Some examples may be bugged.
eczkchtl

Postby eczkchtl » 23 Sep 2013, 06:47

Hi rjgtav,

We've already installed SFS Pro on Amazon EC2. My question was about running the SFS Pro License Server there as well, using Amazon's new "Elastic Network Interfaces" service to get a static private IP. I did email SFS support about this and got the answer that it isn't possible. The license server must be bound to the machines true "physical" private IP address. A virtual private IP address would not suffice, as I understand it.

Cheers,
Peter
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 01 Oct 2013, 10:51

It depends, not all virtual servers work the same.
As far as I can remember Rackspace servers, or Jelastic servers don't use a private IP address but only a public one which never changes unless you dismiss the server and recreate a new one.

So you could try one of those services using the smallest instance available since the LS runs with very little resources. Jelastic offers to fine tune the amount "cloudlets" you use for each instance.

Hope it helps
Lapo
--
gotoAndPlay()
...addicted to flash games
eczkchtl

Postby eczkchtl » 01 Oct 2013, 12:41

Thanks for the reply Lapo. We're having a difficult time convincing our customer to get a second server. We might simply test if the LS works with Amazon's ENI service. We do have a static public IP as well. I'll report back here if we do the test. We've already bought a SFS 1.x Pro license, but it's not in use yet.

Return to “SmartFoxServer 1.x Discussions and Help”