Multiple Rooms Mandatory?

Post here your questions about SFS2X. Here we discuss all server-side matters. For client API questions see the dedicated forums.

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

Zelek

Multiple Rooms Mandatory?

Postby Zelek » 01 May 2013, 06:33

Is it feasible to have a single zone with a single room, if my SFSExtension.send(...) calls are always sending data to very small subsets of users (around 20)? Or does having 1000-2000 users in a room kill performance, even if I'm not explicitly sending data between all of them?

I notice that connection and disconnection events are automatically sent to everyone in the room, which is making me worry that there might be stuff going on behind the scenes requiring me to divide things into separate rooms.
Lapo
Site Admin

Re: Multiple Rooms Mandatory?

Postby Lapo » 01 May 2013, 18:02

Rooms will broadcast additional events (e.g a User leaving) which will become resource consuming when the Room is crowded.
You have a few options:

1- Not using Rooms at all, if you don't need broadcast type communications (e.g. public messages). You can still rely on Buddy Lists if you want Users to chat with each others
2- Using a Room but disabling many (if not all) the broadcast type events. You can check the documentation on how to configure the various events when creating a Room (this feature is server side only)

cheers
Lapo
--
gotoAndPlay()
...addicted to flash games
Zelek

Postby Zelek » 28 Jul 2013, 05:27

Lapo wrote:2- Using a Room but disabling many (if not all) the broadcast type events. You can check the documentation on how to configure the various events when creating a Room (this feature is server side only)

In the Room Configuration Settings, I've removed everything from the "Permissions and events" tab. Should that cover everything?

I just want to be sure that if I have 1000 people in a room together, SmartFox isn't unnecessarily sending any data between them unless I explicitly tell it to.
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 28 Jul 2013, 08:40

Sure, that will do it.
Lapo

--

gotoAndPlay()

...addicted to flash games

Return to “SFS2X Questions”