Beginner Video Tutorials

Post here your questions about the Unity / .Net / Mono / Windows 8 / Windows Phone 8 API for SFS2X

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

Jake-GR

Beginner Video Tutorials

Postby Jake-GR » 02 Jan 2012, 05:15

Here is my video series of SmartFox tutorials, geared toward Unity (and NetBeans). The list below will be updated as I add more videos, and you can subscribe to my YouTube channel to get updates.
If there is a video you would like to see in the future, please post on my YouTube channel, Unity forum (link below), or here in this thread. I am trying to keep a logical flow to the videos, so requested videos might have to wait till it fits in. I may create requested videos outside of the playlist depending on how in-depth and specific they are, in this case they would not need to fit into the "flow" of the playlist.

[Channel] [Playlist]
Latest Videos:
Unity: SmartFox (011): Login Assistant Component
Unity: SmartFox (012): Signup Assistant Component

This thread is also available here: [Unity Forum Topic]
Last edited by Jake-GR on 17 Sep 2013, 16:50, edited 11 times in total.
Jake-GR

Postby Jake-GR » 08 Jan 2012, 22:19

Uploaded the next video, and modified the original post.
If you have suggestions or requests for future videos please reply here, or on the unity forums.
(i wont be bumping this thread anymore, unless requested hehe)
ThomasLund

Postby ThomasLund » 10 Jan 2012, 11:05

Will take a look during the next days - thanks for making these!!

/Thomas
Full Control - maker of Unity/C# and Java SFS API and indie games
Follow on twitter: http://twitter.com/thomas_h_lund
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 10 Jan 2012, 11:06

Cool videos :)
The playlist works fine but the first link doesn't seem to be working correctly.

Cheers
Lapo
--
gotoAndPlay()
...addicted to flash games
Jake-GR

Postby Jake-GR » 10 Jan 2012, 20:10

Thanks for the heads up, updated the first link, should work now.
appels

Postby appels » 11 Jan 2012, 00:11

I briefly watched and listened and the quality is great.
Keep it up, it's allways nice to be able to fall back to a video :)
Jake-GR

Postby Jake-GR » 30 Jan 2012, 23:36

Thanks for the comment appels!
I'm still learning as I go along, but if there are some concepts that you think would help others, please let me know (I'm starting to run out of ideas hehe)
appels

Postby appels » 31 Jan 2012, 08:10

A login extension would be helpfull, add a custom login tut.
Maybe even with a database connection.
It's not to hard, i can post some code if you need any.
A bit more advanced would be a registration system but that involves a second zone and some inventive code on the client side to make it all seamless.
foxter888

Postby foxter888 » 02 Feb 2012, 17:37

hi jake i'm the one who talked to you long time ago on youtube about the whole object classes thing, i made a tutorial too but with a friend through skype teaching him lol. so far i learned by using smartfox first withouth using an extension and in oder to proces the movement for example i use object messages, then i went into extensions and i got to be able to use a database with login with account and user name and now what i'm missing is the whole being able to send classes back and forth lol. or what i believe what people call class serialization.

anyhow here is my video if you guys want to see what i have done with smartfox. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_10tLpXRfk

i was thinking long time ago to make some video tutorils but then it would be rude since someone else it's doing it lol
get to work you slacker!!!
foxter888

Postby foxter888 » 02 Feb 2012, 17:39

one question for you appels would be you said for a registration system you would do a second zone? i never taught about it so far i been using one and for my friend to have accounts i had to hard type them on my database lol.

so im' guessing after querying the database making the account you would switch the zone?
Jake-GR

Postby Jake-GR » 02 Feb 2012, 21:01

@foxter888 I wouldn't see it as rude if you made tutorial videos as well. The way I see it, there can never be too many tutorials. Ive noticed that everyone goes about making tutorials differently, and people learn differently. So even if it was the same topic, some may find mine more helpful, and some may find yours helpful.

So, by all means, if you want to start your own tutorials, don't let me hold you back :)

As for class serialization, I am still a long ways away from that right now. I've only been sending ISFSObjects as a PublicMessage so far.
foxter888

Postby foxter888 » 03 Feb 2012, 00:02

thanks a lot, i wanted to be polite about it lol, anyhow the one thing that i haven't been able to get working was the class serialization lol and yes i'm aware about the sticky that says sending and recieving classes and i did excactly everythiing verbatum and i get this error coming from unity from the
sfs debug loghandler saying something about that the class named "blah or anything" could not deserialize and two other ones saying decode at the end and SCs2c ???
appels

Postby appels » 03 Feb 2012, 20:58

Yep, create a zone without login extension and an extension to add data to the database. Then disconnect the client and reconnect it to the actual game zone where he needs to login (with login extension). I created one just like that a few months back.
Jake-GR

Re: Beginner Video Tutorials

Postby Jake-GR » 19 Mar 2012, 21:51

Extremely sorry for the long delay in videos, I got very sick and lost my voice. Number 6 in the series "Setup and Install Extension" is uploaded. The next couple videos may be about setting up extension logins and database integration, I haven't quite decided yet. They would be videos of their "recipe" counterparts in the 2X Docs. As always, if you have suggestions or requests, please feel free to post here, YouTube, or in the Unity forums.
Bax
Site Admin

Re: Beginner Video Tutorials

Postby Bax » 20 Mar 2012, 09:29

Jake-GR wrote:Extremely sorry for the long delay in videos, I got very sick and lost my voice. Number 6 in the series "Setup and Install Extension" is uploaded. The next couple videos may be about setting up extension logins and database integration, I haven't quite decided yet. They would be videos of their "recipe" counterparts in the 2X Docs. As always, if you have suggestions or requests, please feel free to post here, YouTube, or in the Unity forums.

I've added your tutorials to our official channel. Don't forget to alert us by email whenever you publish a new one.
Paolo Bax
The SmartFoxServer Team

Return to “SFS2X C# API”