my required set up please help

Need help with SmartFoxServer? You didn't find an answer in our documentation? Please, post your questions here!

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

bhoward3

my required set up please help

Postby bhoward3 » 07 Feb 2006, 21:13

hello

my requirement is as such, i have a network which consists of a cpu with a wireless router and 2 portable tablet type computers with wifi cards.

i have created a multiuser environment with flash that allow a user to operate a control panel on the tablet computer and effect what appears on the base cpu, which is connected to a large monitor.

i have succesfully created the program and have it running useing smartfox lite on a single local machine.

i am ready to start testing it within the environment and am hoping that someone can help guide me through the process of turning the base cpu into the server and establish an ip that i can than connect with wirelessly

thank you for any and all direction
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 08 Feb 2006, 07:47

Hi, and welcome :)

i have succesfully created the program and have it running useing smartfox lite on a single local machine.

Nice. If you will use the application in a small network then SFS Lite is just great. However if you plan to make it available online for many simultaneous user I would reccomend using SmartFoxServer Basic or PRO.

SFS Lite does not share the same server engine as the other two. Migrating would be very easy and it doesn't require any code change.
i am ready to start testing it within the environment and am hoping that someone can help guide me through the process of turning the base cpu into the server and establish an ip that i can than connect with wirelessly

Turning your machine into the server is simple:

-> install SmartFoxServer
-> set the IP address of the server in the config.xml so that it matches the network address of your computer
-> start the server

Will you need to connect clients from outside your network?
In such case you will need to enable the NAT (Network Address Translator) in your router.
Lapo
--
gotoAndPlay()
...addicted to flash games
bhoward3

Postby bhoward3 » 08 Feb 2006, 14:00

thank you very much, can you provide any insight into locating my machines network ip address.

most users at a time will be 2 so i think lite version should be fine

thanks again
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 08 Feb 2006, 14:08

thank you very much, can you provide any insight into locating my machines network ip address.

Well, it should be quite simple. You should just open the network settings in your operating system control panel and read what IP address is being assigned.
If you use Windows you should open the Control Panel, double click the Network Settings icon and from there check the TCP/IP properties of your network card (right click)
You only need the know the IP address for the server machine.

most users at a time will be 2 so i think lite version should be fine

Sure :)
Lapo

--

gotoAndPlay()

...addicted to flash games

Return to “SmartFoxServer 1.x Discussions and Help”