Internet Explorer vs FireFox

Need help with SmartFoxServer? You didn't find an answer in our documentation? Please, post your questions here!

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

BigFIsh

Internet Explorer vs FireFox

Postby BigFIsh » 27 Feb 2008, 06:31

Does Internet Explorer has some Security installed within its core that prevents users to "connect" to SmartFoxServer via Flash? I'm running the latest Internet Explorer (v7) . I discovered this by running the same .swf file on FireFox 2.0 and it was able to connect...

How do you resolve this problem?

Thanks
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 27 Feb 2008, 10:43

The two browsers run two different Flash Players which are probably different versions.
Anyways most connection problems are related with the Flash Player security sandbox. Here's a document that can help -> http://www.smartfoxserver.com/whitepapers/fp_security/
Lapo
--
gotoAndPlay()
...addicted to flash games
BigFIsh

Postby BigFIsh » 27 Feb 2008, 20:01

Lapo wrote:The two browsers run two different Flash Players which are probably different versions.

I checked that. Both browser runs Adobe Flash Player Version 9. I tried all the suggested prior to the website suggested about sandbox security. Still the same problem.

My brother were able to connect to flash player by using Internet Explorer 6 from his computer outside my network.

I'm tested connections to my swf from inside my network. FireFox passed, IE7 didn't.

Also, I tried to connect to http://hansolx.free-web-hosting.biz/App.swf which hansolx, from this forum, is having problems. Same thing, I couldn't connect with IE7 but were able to with FireFox.
hansolx

Postby hansolx » 27 Feb 2008, 20:16

BigFIsh wrote:Also, I tried to connect to http://hansolx.free-web-hosting.biz/App.swf which hansolx, from this forum, is having problems. Same thing, I couldn't connect with IE7 but were able to with FireFox.

Thats odd, i couldn't connect to my own chat with either and i use the old internet explorer and new fire fox, both have flash player 9. The only way i could connect was by using the .swf :?
BigFIsh

Postby BigFIsh » 28 Feb 2008, 02:50

Ah, i think I know what you mean. When you test your movie, you were able to connect aye? and when you publish it with .html, it couldn't work?

I used to have that problem couple of days ago.. somehow i managed to get it fixed. If it's this problem you're having, let me know and I'll see how i got it fixed.
hansolx

Postby hansolx » 28 Feb 2008, 03:00

BigFIsh wrote:Ah, i think I know what you mean. When you test your movie, you were able to connect aye? and when you publish it with .html, it couldn't work?

I used to have that problem couple of days ago.. somehow i managed to get it fixed. If it's this problem you're having, let me know and I'll see how i got it fixed.

Hey i never published with .html before!!! but it works now!!! i have the html file, swf and .js file on the server and everyone can connect to it, i just give them the .html link http://hansolx.free-web-hosting.biz/App.html :D
BigFIsh

Postby BigFIsh » 28 Feb 2008, 03:13

Congratulations! :D
hansolx

Postby hansolx » 28 Feb 2008, 03:30

BigFIsh wrote:Congratulations! :D

thanks, have u figured out why you cannot use it on IE?
BigFIsh

Postby BigFIsh » 28 Feb 2008, 03:57

Not yet.. Still trying to figure that out.

Can you connect to www.oasisorg.com/simpleConnect.html? If so/not which version IE? Cheers
hansolx

Postby hansolx » 28 Feb 2008, 04:18

BigFIsh wrote:Not yet.. Still trying to figure that out.

Can you connect to www.oasisorg.com/simpleConnect.html? If so/not which version IE? Cheers

yup i can connect to that on my IE, i think its version 6
BigFIsh

Postby BigFIsh » 03 Mar 2008, 03:50

I found the solution..

The problem is Internet Explorer itself.

This problem, however, only occurs on the computer the server is running from. When publishing .swf for html to test on a Internet browser on the same computer that runs the SmartFoxServer, make sure the ip address inside the .swf is local - i.e. 192.168.2.4/127.0.0.1 not external ip address - i.e. 203.159.124.125. Otherwise you'll get "connecting" non-stop.

When attempting to connect to the .swf from outside the network that runs the server from any browser, it should be fine.

I hope I didn't confuse you. When publishing your .swf file for your website, make sure your ip address is external otherwise people from outside the network can't connect and only you can. Savvy?

If you're testing it on FireFox, it doesn't matter which ip address you use.
FireFox = #1 :wink:
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 03 Mar 2008, 07:20

You should check which version of the flash player you're running under both browsers. I suspect you have the latest 9.0.115 under IE, which introduced a few restrictions in terms of security.

Try this page -> http://www.smartfoxserver.com/labs/connTest/
And see if you can connect.
It will also tell you if you can connect via socket or BlueBox (http-tunnel)
Lapo

--

gotoAndPlay()

...addicted to flash games
BigFIsh

Postby BigFIsh » 03 Mar 2008, 08:50

Yup, I'm able to connect using socket mode.

But, I'm not able to connect to my own .swf from the same laptop that runs the smartFoxServer for the .swf.

for example.. www.oasisorg.com/simpleConnect.html

1. If .swf has external ip address of 203.160.125.124. I am able to connect from outside the network. (with any browser)

2. My laptop runs the server for simpleConnection.swf. When trying to connect from my laptop - it is unable to connect. (problem only occurs with IE). I am able to connect with any other browser.

3. If the .swf has ip address of 192.168.2.2, my laptop can connect with IE

Maybe it is the restrictions.. anyway, it doesn't matter. As long as other people can connect to .swf, it's fine. :wink:

Return to “SmartFoxServer 1.x Discussions and Help”