compiling Redbox examples

Post your questions and bug-reports about the audio/video streaming add-on based on Red5 Media Server.

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

Prof_PP

compiling Redbox examples

Postby Prof_PP » 04 Jul 2008, 05:12

Hi Team,

We got Flex 3 and want to build some apps with Redbox. To see how it all fits together, we usually recompile or modify the examples to get started.

Flex is calling for a project file to open these. Is there one? There are also many types of apps on the create menu. What were the examples created as?

As Flex is new to us, any help or advice would be great.
Thanks

Dr. Paul Pivec, PhD, MComp, GDipHe
CranberryBlue R & D Ltd.
http://www.piveclabs.com
Bax
Site Admin

Postby Bax » 04 Jul 2008, 08:13

Hi Prof.
These are the steps you should follow to get up and running:
1) in the Flex Builder "File" menu choose "Import" and "Flex Project...";
2) select "Project folder" and click the "Browse" button;
3a) for the RedBox API, select the "Flash API/RedBoxClient_AS3" folder in the SmartFoxServer installation folder and click "Finish";
3b) for the RedBox usage examples, select their respective folders inside "Examples/RedBox".
Flex Builder will add the projects to the Navigator panel.
In order to be able to compile the examples you will also need to:
- for the RedBox API, add a reference in the project properties (Flex Build Path -> Library Path) to the folder containing the SFS API classes;
- for the RedBox examples, add a reference to the folder containing the SFS API classes and the RedBox API classes.
Paolo Bax
The SmartFoxServer Team
maximon

Postby maximon » 24 Jul 2008, 20:28

Hi

I'm just getting started as well, and I decided to take the flex route instead of flash, I find it confusing to have to deal with timeline in the interface, as a programer I rather like to see the code directly.

I've imported the SmartFoxChat project into my flex workspace, at first it would give 15 errors. For me it was as simple as
1) go to project properties
2) click "Flex Build Path" then "Library path"
3) add SWC file found in
C:\Program\SmartFoxServerPRO_1.6.2\Flash API\RedBoxClient_AS3\bin

and then I could compile without errors, there was some warnings but now atleast I can now play with examples and learn.

Is there anything else I should think about or do, is it this simple to get it to compile and run in flex? import project, add SWC file and you are ready to go? :)

Btw I think you should produce one streight Flex tutorial on connecting and sending messages for those who want to do it in Flex.

Carl Lydon

Postby Carl Lydon » 21 Mar 2009, 02:37

I don;t have flex and would like to get something running in AS2. I can't find any example files in Flash, and I don't know how to even get the client side stuff working.

Are there any flash examples out there? If not, what do I do to get the redbox initialized and ready to use?
Bax
Site Admin

Postby Bax » 23 Mar 2009, 06:02

Carl Lydon wrote:I don;t have flex and would like to get something running in AS2. I can't find any example files in Flash, and I don't know how to even get the client side stuff working.

Are there any flash examples out there? If not, what do I do to get the redbox initialized and ready to use?

http://www.smartfoxserver.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=19638#19638
Paolo Bax
The SmartFoxServer Team
Carl Lydon

Postby Carl Lydon » 07 Apr 2009, 16:31

Thanks bax, those example files work fine for me.

Question:

I got the examples to run locally, when I'm also running the smarfox and redbox servers locally....

With the SmartfoxChatAV.fla, I cannot find anyplace to change the ip address.

I tried changing line 88:

var red5IpAddress:String = sfs.ipAddress

to hardcode the address of my remote server, but it doesn't work. It seems to be always looking for the local ip.

How can I get this example to run with my remote server?
Bax
Site Admin

Postby Bax » 08 Apr 2009, 16:09

If Red5 and SmartFoxServer run on the same remote server, there is no reason in changing that line 88.
Paolo Bax
The SmartFoxServer Team
Carl Lydon

Postby Carl Lydon » 08 Apr 2009, 20:54

Ok, so what do I change to make it target the ip of my remote server? It only works with my local server and redbox.
Carl Lydon

Postby Carl Lydon » 14 Apr 2009, 11:53

Ok, so now I know what NOT to change, what DO I change so it will target a remote server instead of a server running on the desktop? Where do I set the IP?
Bax
Site Admin

Postby Bax » 15 Apr 2009, 06:34

Is Red5 running on your remote server? Can you tell us the IP?
Paolo Bax
The SmartFoxServer Team
Bax
Site Admin

Postby Bax » 15 Apr 2009, 12:27

We checked the IP address you sent by private message and Red5 seems to be up and running. Can you better explain what is worng with your setup? Did you upload one of our examples to your online server (you mentioned the SmartfoxChatAV example)? Are you able to connect to SmartFoxServer? Is the text chat working or you can't even connect?
I suppose you didn't change the IP address inside the config.xml file that comes with the example and that the client loads when the example starts up?
Paolo Bax
The SmartFoxServer Team
Carl Lydon

Postby Carl Lydon » 15 Apr 2009, 13:10

No, I'm trying to run the example locally, or on a url, and have it connect to the Redbox the same way my chat connects to a remote server from my desktop. Maybe I'm totally not understanding how this works; I thought it would work the same way Smartfox does. Are you saying that the examples will only work if they're running on the same machine as the Redbox? If so, how did you check the Redbox at the IP I gave you?

I have a smartfox server running at that IP, same IP as the Redbox. My chat connects to SF ok, running from my desktop or from a url.

I didn't change the IP in the config file.

Not sure what you mean by the client loading when the example starts up.

So, my question still is:

With the "SmartfoxChatAV.fla", how do I set the IP address to point to my remote server?
Bax
Site Admin

Postby Bax » 15 Apr 2009, 15:57

By default the SmartfoxChatAV.fla example connects to 127.0.0.1, as written inside the config.xml file that comes with the example. So if you didn't change it, you are connecting to a SmartFoxServer instance on your own computer, not to the live server.
Change that IP to your server IP, and both the text chat part and the video chat part of the example should work fine.
Paolo Bax
The SmartFoxServer Team
Carl Lydon

Postby Carl Lydon » 15 Apr 2009, 16:06

Thanks, I'll try that.
Carl Lydon

Postby Carl Lydon » 27 Apr 2009, 14:57

I don;t see any config file inside redbox folder or example folder. Are you saying I should edit the main config file for smartfox? I thought you could point redbox to any server you wanted, and I don't see a special line for the redbox ip in the main config.

On another note, has anyone tried this?

http://www.flvsoft.com/flash_video_server/

It's 1k, but it looks to be drag and drop.

Any other product suggestions for adding live video or audio? Basically, we just want VIP users in our chatroom to be able to broadcast and answer text questions from normal users. We don't need to video conference 1:1.

Otherwise, can you suggest someone we can hire to get this working? I'm good at smartfox but I'm close to giving up on redbox.

Return to “RedBox”