Bluebox / Apache / Jetty clarification

Submit all your BlueBox related questions or report a bug here!

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

FranL

Bluebox / Apache / Jetty clarification

Postby FranL » 03 Mar 2008, 17:47

Hi,

We are developing a new game/world using this fantastic tool of SmartFoxServer PRO 1.6, and really we have to congratulate everyone for the documentation and easy of use.

We have an already developed beta of our application (a beta only for 20 users, then will have around 500), and we were having problems with connection behind proxys. One of our main clients is asking the application on the PORT 80.
Now we are having our application running with SFS/Apache/PHP/MySQL.

Because of this we started looking to the BlueBox solution, but of what we have seen it apparently only works with the Jetty web server. In this case I understand we cannot use PHP cause we are loosing all our PHP develpment.

It works fine if Bluebox is listening to 8080, but we understand that we have to have BlueBox to listen port 80 to work ok with our client, but ther is Apache now.

We are not experts in Linux configuration, and our server provider does not know very much about SFS. Is there a workaround to still use Apache, for Bluebox implementation? Or in combination with Jetty? Any idea?

Thanks a lot, congratulations again for this great tool.

FranL - Argentina
dvine

Postby dvine » 04 Mar 2008, 09:36

Hey - we have the same problem. If you do find a solution, please let me know ;-)
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 04 Mar 2008, 16:54

The best idea is to separate the Apache/PHP/MySQL box from the SFS box.
This way you can run SFS on port 443 and BlueBox on port 80.

Have you read the BlueBox f.a.q.? It talks in details about port configutation -> http://www.smartfoxserver.com/docs/docP ... x/faq.html

An alternative is to use 2 network cards on the same box, so you can bind Apache to card #1, port=80 and BlueBox on card #2, port = 80
Lapo
--
gotoAndPlay()
...addicted to flash games
FranL

Postby FranL » 06 Mar 2008, 12:22

Thanks Lapo, we are trying something like the two NICS you suggested.
When finishing the test I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks!
renderman

Postby renderman » 11 Mar 2008, 09:37

yes you must also get you provider to remove apache on SFS server to free up the ports.
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 11 Mar 2008, 12:50

Nah, it's not needed to remove it. Simply turn it off if it's not needed or decide to make it listen on an alternative port
Lapo

--

gotoAndPlay()

kilo

Postby kilo » 30 Apr 2008, 10:00

Lapo wrote:The best idea is to separate the Apache/PHP/MySQL box from the SFS box.
This way you can run SFS on port 443 and BlueBox on port 80.

Lapo can you please clarify this - do you mean run two separate servers?

We are attempting to run bluebox on port 80 for maximum coverage.
The issue we have is that we are running apache on 80 and need it for PHP/MySql

I tried running bluebox on 443, but no luck - I think apache is already using this port for SSL. I tried changing the 443 setting in the ssl config to 444 but unfortunately this did not work.
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 30 Apr 2008, 12:49

If those ports are already taken, you won't be able to bind them to another service. A simple workaround is to install a new network card in the server and use that one for running the BlueBox on port 80
Lapo

--

gotoAndPlay()

Return to “BlueBox”