Animation Synchronization in Unity 2018

Post here your questions about the Unity / .Net / Mono / Windows 8 / Windows Phone 8 API for SFS2X

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

TheHammerSV

Animation Synchronization in Unity 2018

Postby TheHammerSV » 10 Nov 2018, 17:48

Hello!
I really appreciate the help I got with my previous question over leaving rooms. I have since progressed farther in my project and am now working on allowing clients to see other players. This is where I'm facing my next issue... I am having troubles with figuring out how to synchronize the animations of remote players. My original solution was to use the Animation Synchronization script from the FPS demo, but this script was connected to a whole string of other complicated scripts that just caused errors in my project since they weren't really connected to anything else other than the AnimationSynchronizer. Now I'm wondering how I should go about making my own animation synchronizer script so that I can avoid ruining my project by trying to use a script from a separate project.

To get remote and local players working, I have been using a modified version of the object motion demo where the four shape options for the player have been replaced with the standard Unity3d ThirdPersonCharacter. The player animations work fine locally, it is just getting them to sync remotely I am having issues with. I am using Unity3d 2018.2.14 and have a client api version of 1.7.9.

Thank you!
Lapo
Site Admin

Re: Animation Synchronization in Unity 2018

Postby Lapo » 11 Nov 2018, 17:23

Hi,
yes, the MMODemo synch is basic in its form as it is the first step in learning this sort of technique. It works fine for a number of games that don't require exact positioning, but for precise synching you need more sophisticated code.

The next step would be to study an example such as the SpaceWar demo. The main tutorial was written for the Flash version but the concepts are universal and can be applied in any language and for any other game. Also the demo has been ported for Unity too so you can take a look at its code directly.

You can start from here:
http://docs2x.smartfoxserver.com/ExamplesUnity/spacewar

Hope it helps
Lapo
--
gotoAndPlay()
...addicted to flash games
DrPsyche

Postby DrPsyche » 09 Jan 2019, 12:31

TheHammerSV wrote:Hello!
I really appreciate the help I got with my previous question over leaving rooms. I have since progressed farther in my project and am now working on allowing clients to see other players. This is where I'm facing my next issue... I am having troubles with figuring out how to synchronize the animations of remote players. My original solution was to use the Animation Synchronization script from the FPS demo, but this script was connected to a whole string of other complicated scripts that just caused errors to do this project since they weren't really connected to anything else other than the AnimationSynchronizer. Now I'm wondering how I should go about making my own animation synchronizer script so that I can avoid ruining my project by trying to use a script from a separate project.

To get remote and local players working, I have been using a modified version of the object motion demo where the four shape options for the player have been replaced with the standard Unity3d ThirdPersonCharacter. The player animations work fine locally, it is just getting them to sync remotely I am having issues with. I am using Unity3d 2018.2.14 and have a client api version of 1.7.9.

Thank you!

Hello,

I've been trying to work with the Animation Synchronization script, but it's also causing issues. I guess I need to try something else.
BTW, where can I download the 2DPlatformerController package?

Thanks
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 10 Jan 2019, 16:17

DrPsyche wrote:I've been trying to work with the Animation Synchronization script, but it's also causing issues. I guess I need to try something else.
BTW, where can I download the 2DPlatformerController package?

Different games may require different approaches to animation synchronization.
I am not sure what you're referring to with the "2DPlatformerController package"?

Is it a Unity asset from the store?

Cheers
p.s. = we're working on new Unity examples, including a new FPS and more. Hopefully they will help with your current problem. I'll post an update when they are released.
Lapo

--

gotoAndPlay()

...addicted to flash games

Return to “SFS2X C# API”