Why my ios app (Unity client) connects over wifi only?

Post here your questions about the Unity / .Net / Mono / Windows 8 / Windows Phone 8 API for SFS2X

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

siliconboy

Why my ios app (Unity client) connects over wifi only?

Postby siliconboy » 23 Oct 2018, 19:14

Hello guys, Quick question:

I am having a game developed for me using smartfox server and Unity client. the server is hosted on linode.

The issue is when I click on the app icon on my phone it doesn't load the game's login page when i'm using my celluar data which is ROGERS LTE (Im in Canada). However everything works fine when I am connected via wifi. I asked the development team and they say they have not done anything on their side that would limit the app to wifi. I also checked all the settings on my phone and made sure the app is allowed to use celluar data. I further restarted the network settings on my phone back to default settings. But the problem is still not resolved. The issue is there only when i use my iphone. The app on Samsung is working fine on same sim card's LTE. So issue is probably not from ROGERS.

Can you please give me a hint on what the problem could be?

Thanks,
Last edited by siliconboy on 24 Oct 2018, 17:19, edited 4 times in total.
Lapo
Site Admin

Re: Why my app (Unity client) connects over wifi only?

Postby Lapo » 24 Oct 2018, 07:44

Hi,
as your dev team told you, there is indeed no difference, in principle, connecting via WIFI or 3G/4G etc...

What might be going on is that your mobile connection either is not able to reach the server host or it has some limitations on the TCP ports it can connect to.

If this problem was occurring on a computer there would a bunch of OS diagnostic tools that could be used to dig more into the issue. However, being a phone it's more complicated to do that as you probably don't have full access to the underlying OS and tools.

When you test with the Samsung phone and the iPhone do you use the same mobile carrier?
If so, you might want to ask them why you're not able to reach the server hosting SFS2X.

By the ways, is SFS2X also hosted in Canada?

Thanks
Lapo
--
gotoAndPlay()
...addicted to flash games
Lapo
Site Admin

Re: Why my app (Unity client) connects over wifi only?

Postby Lapo » 24 Oct 2018, 07:45

One more thing. SFS2X comes with its own web-server, normally running on port 8080.
Have you tried connecting via LTE connection to the web server using a internet browser?

In other words you should just point the browser to http://<your-server-ip>:8080

Cheers
Lapo

--

gotoAndPlay()

siliconboy

Re: Why ios my app (Unity client) connects over wifi only?

Postby siliconboy » 24 Oct 2018, 16:18

Dear Lapo,

Thanks for you reply. So i was wrong that the issue is there for both iphone and samsung. I tried my sim card (the same sim card) on Samsung and the app was working using cellular data. So the issue is not from ROGERS.

So it appears that the problem is specific to my iphone.

**Per your instruction, I typed http://<your-server-ip>:8080 on my iphone and I was able to connect over LTE.

**The sfs2x server for my game is hosted on the linode server which location is in Fremont, California.

Is there anything else you can think of to solve this issue? is it possible that when they create ios version of app out of Unity, something goes wrong with TCP port settings for cellular data?

Thanks.
Lapo
Site Admin

Re: Why my ios app (Unity client) connects over wifi only?

Postby Lapo » 25 Oct 2018, 09:13

In your opening message you said you're not able to see the login page when using a mobile connection.
What triggers the appearance of the login page? Is it activated after the SmartFox connection is successful?
Don't you have a screen for the connection failure too?

What I would recommend is to go in "debug mode" by plugging your iPhone to the computer and debugging the app (using mobile connection) to see what messages appear in XCode's log window.

Also:
Are you using the protocol encryption?
What Unity version are you using?
What iOS version are you testing with?

Thanks
Lapo

--

gotoAndPlay()

Return to “SFS2X C# API”