Need help, I'm a noob

Post here your questions about the Unity / .Net / Mono / Windows 8 / Windows Phone 8 API for SFS2X

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

foxter888

Need help, I'm a noob

Postby foxter888 » 20 Apr 2011, 14:07

Could anyone tell me how to network a unity game without server extension?
I already looked at the fps tutorial and made it work. But it seems confusing having to go back and fourth the server side code and client.

Right now I dont care if its automotive or not, I just want to do only client code before doing server code.

I know that the demo island dont use a server code, but it doesn't work on the new smartfox.

Please I need help learning. Even the api documents seems hard to read since its a bit sluggish and unorganized.
get to work you slacker!!!
ThomasLund

Postby ThomasLund » 20 Apr 2011, 15:47

Extension requests are the only parts that require a server part.

Analog to sendObject in SFS 1, there is a ObjectMessageRequest which only uses the server as a message router

/Thomas
Full Control - maker of Unity/C# and Java SFS API and indie games
Follow on twitter: http://twitter.com/thomas_h_lund
foxter888

Postby foxter888 » 20 Apr 2011, 16:06

Do you have some form of a code snippet I could follow? I'm still confused trying to figure out how to write all the scripts, I normally started modifying the fps tutorial. But things I didn't like was guacamole hard coding the spawn point. And I only want to learn fully the client code without the extension.

I pretty much don't have a good example to follow and use a a base. And please don't direct me to the fps tutorial note the island demo, one the island doesn't work and the fps tutorial its a bit complicated with the whole extension to follow along

I'm trying to get super simple such as connecting,login, get in a room, send transforms, animations and using the spawnpoints within unity itself.
foxter888

Postby foxter888 » 20 Apr 2011, 16:11

Even the api its confsing since the texts are all over the place, they should have both the server and client api in some pdf formats to be able to look ofline and hopefully its readable.
I'm still planning whether I might get the license for smartfox, just that some of the documentation its a bit discouraging and hard to get into my brain.
tchen

Postby tchen » 23 Apr 2011, 00:50

foxter888 wrote:I'm trying to get super simple such as connecting,login, get in a room, send transforms, animations and using the spawnpoints within unity itself.

Look under the folder

sfs2x\Client\Unity\Examples

There's the Connector, Lobby, and TrisGame examples which details the basics. With the TrisGame example, it works against the common SFSTris2X server side extension.

Return to “SFS2X C# API”