Template Example request

Post here your questions about the Unity / .Net / Mono / Windows 8 / Windows Phone 8 API for SFS2X

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

Sichuan

Template Example request

Postby Sichuan » 18 Mar 2011, 17:20

Hello fellow smartfoxers, I have been trying to get the hang of this program in cooperation with my knowledge about Unity3d. However, I have been left in the dark for a long time now about how to go about things. Therefore I would like to request a basic version of the FPS demo for learning purposes.

This simple demo would just have a network set-up no hassle with guns and ammo, just the network and position transfer. To have such a demo and learn all the scripts that are involved in it and what they do would be very helpful for a lot of people in my opinion.

I hope one of you has the time and motivation to make such a demo to help the fellow creators out there.

Thanks in advance,

Sichuan
ThomasLund

Postby ThomasLund » 19 Mar 2011, 11:01

There are 3 other examples - bundled with the download - that take you from a simple connection through a basic lobby to a tic-tac-toe demo. And then you have the FPS which definitely is much more advanced than the others.

But I would recommend starting with the very first and working your way through. See if those will help you along down the learning curve.

I recognize that these examples are not tutorials. They are not a howto, and disecting them is up to each individual to do.

Might be an idea for someone with time to spare to write a book about this and sell it :-)
Full Control - maker of Unity/C# and Java SFS API and indie games
Follow on twitter: http://twitter.com/thomas_h_lund
Sichuan

Postby Sichuan » 19 Mar 2011, 12:20

Well I see what you mean with the 3 examples, but really my point is that for me 1 step is left out. It goes from a simple chat to a game that has features. In the lobby example you learn to how to make a chat, but not how to link it to a game and how to send and receive position coordinates. In the tris demo all of a sudden you get 8 scripts and a whole lot of prefabs. While most of those scripts would probably have no use in any game you would want to make. Then new people have to figure without knowing what all the scripts do, which one is useful and which one is not. I think the perfect learning curve would be to keep the Connection and Lobby example, but to make an example after that which shows you the lobby phase and then room joining and creation and a basic block-to-plane gameplay which shows position transmission.
appels

Postby appels » 19 Mar 2011, 17:32

Just take the FPS demo and rip all things out that you don't use. Thats how i started with it.

Return to “SFS2X C# API”