sendPrivateMessage via username instead of userid

Post here your suggestions for new possible features in SmartFoxServer.

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

Is sendPrivateMessage() via username instead of userid a good idea to add?

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 10
CoryG

sendPrivateMessage via username instead of userid

Postby CoryG » 06 Sep 2009, 09:42

Hello,
I'm working on designing a game utilizing SmartFox Server (Pro, and will be buying an unlimited copy of it once it's completed). So far I love the API, if I were coding a server from scratch almost everything is what I would have shot for. However I have run into an issue, which may have a lookup I simply haven't found in the API - or it might be something I need to code or find a server side extension for. I'm trying to use sendPrivateMessage to a user that may not have been seen be the sending user, and therefore the sender wouldn't know the userId without specifically listing the users in each room - which seems very wasteful, is there a way to send a message to a user by username instead? (I am plugging into the login portion via php, so there will only ever be 1 person with a particular username). I see this as a critical function (so that a user can type something like "/w username message" into a chat console and whisper them), however it seems to be the only thing lacking thus far - if I'm wrong please point me toward the appropriate API, if there is no support to this will it be added at some point?
Working on http://community.nummarius.com/ utilizing SmartFox Server
Thelo

Postby Thelo » 22 Mar 2010, 01:08

I have the same need of a "/w username message" functionality. Is there currently an easy way to do this, or do I need to write a server extension to handle private messages?

Return to “Features Wish List”