SPAM filter

Post here your suggestions for new possible features in SmartFoxServer.

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

flarb

SPAM filter

Postby flarb » 15 May 2009, 20:38

I think SFS needs a Spam Fitler that works in much the same way as my proposed API access to the profanity filter.

I just got back from LOGIN conference and there was a very interesting presentation on EverQuest II's spam filter. You can get the slides here:

http://nandor.szots.com/

Either I'd like to see this implemented in SmartFox, or it would be cool if a zone plug-in could attach a filter callback that will be automatically run on all chat messages and perhaps return a true or false as to whether the message is allowed to be sent. This callback would receive the user object, room object, and message contents.

Then I could write my own implementation of this spam filter and plug it right in to SmartFox's filtering mechanism. Also this would allow me to plug in that commercial profanity filter as well.
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 19 May 2009, 05:25

Hi flarb,
thanks the slide is very interesting.

Then I could write my own implementation of this spam filter and plug it right in to SmartFox's filtering mechanism. Also this would allow me to plug in that commercial profanity filter as well.

What is preventing you from integrating the filter already? I mean with the current SFS? Private and Public messages can be captured on the server side via events and you can disable the default message filter.

cheers
Lapo
--
gotoAndPlay()
...addicted to flash games
flarb

Postby flarb » 09 Jul 2009, 14:40

Oh I thought the chat messages were just passed directly to the user they are addressed to. I haven't looked at that functionality much--I'll check it out!
flarb

Postby flarb » 19 Aug 2009, 01:49

How do you filter public messages? You can't change the msg parameter in the internaleventobject, can you? All I see is getparam, not setparam. I want to set the text to "*censored*" if I detect profanity or spam.
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 19 Aug 2009, 05:13

The operation requires two steps.

1. capture the event in your handler
2. dispatch the edited message via dispatchPublicMessage()

Part 2 is what you need. Check the asdoc or javadoc based on which language you are using
Lapo

--

gotoAndPlay()

flarb

Postby flarb » 19 Aug 2009, 05:21

Yeah I figured it out earlier. Works like a charm!

So please ignore all my nagging requests for spam and custom profanity filters. This works great!

I used that profanity filter from inversionsoft--worked like a charm.
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 19 Aug 2009, 06:48

Excellent
Lapo

--

gotoAndPlay()

Return to “Features Wish List”