Using SFS with Amazon EC2 - A more flexible license?

Post here your suggestions for new possible features in SmartFoxServer.

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

flarb

Using SFS with Amazon EC2 - A more flexible license?

Postby flarb » 28 Nov 2007, 01:59

I've been thinking about trying to use Amazon's EC2 service to run servers for my game. The problem is, SFS is locked to 1 IP per license. Maybe it's time to offer some kind of 'floating' license for dynamic server scaling services like EC2?

I don't know much about how EC2 works just yet--but it seems like a pretty good way to handle user activity spikes without having to blow tons of dough on server equipment. I was thinking of keeping one central physical server at a co-lo setup but using EC2 to dynamically replicate servers when loads are high.

From what (little) I know about EC2, it seems impossible to do this with the way SFS is licensed?
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 28 Nov 2007, 07:51

Hi Flarb,
due to the increasing number of requests about supporting Amazon's services, we're currently evaluating a solution that will solve the licensing issue.
Lapo
--
gotoAndPlay()
...addicted to flash games
flarb

Postby flarb » 28 Nov 2007, 09:17

Very cool!

Time to read up on the EC2 docs--I'd like to use their on-line storage solution as well (S3). But I think that will require nothing on the Smart Fox side as you use Amazon's API through PHP I think.

Oh also--is there any hint as to when you might have the EC2 stuff figured out? Hopefully within the next quarter or two?
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 28 Nov 2007, 10:17

Yes, definitely. We'll be working on the new licensing system after the 1.6 release ... so it should be ready at the end of the winter.
Meanwhile we can offer a temporary solution, in case you need to go live earlier. (contact us for more infos)
Lapo

--

gotoAndPlay()

flarb

Postby flarb » 29 Nov 2007, 02:31

Cool, I'll let you know. Until then, some kind of FAQ on how to use SFS with EC2 would be much appreciated (Probably would make more sense to release one when the licensing issue is solved)
aMUSiC

Postby aMUSiC » 15 Jan 2008, 14:15

Using SFS with EC2 is basically the same thing as with any other server. You set it up, you run it, you connect to its public IP (and for the time being cross your fingers that EC2 never crashes =)

But yeah.. licensing options for EC2 is a must, since with EC2 it's bloody easy to just set an SFS dedicated server running on port 80..
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 15 Jan 2008, 15:17

Well yeah, but with a few quirks... :?

Have a look at this article, for example -> http://hostingfu.com/article/short-coming-amazon-ec2
Lapo

--

gotoAndPlay()

flarb

Postby flarb » 02 Apr 2008, 07:09

I noticed your big competitor announced a scaleable mode for use with Amazon EC2. Any news on this feature for SmartFox? I'm close to having to figure out how to deploy my app on EC2.

(Although I'm still trying to figure out if it's actually cost effective to use EC2 instead of a physical hosted server for bandwidth costs)
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 02 Apr 2008, 08:48

SmartFoxServer can already be deployed on EC2 and we have customers using it. We are going to update our licensing system to better suit dynamic environments like the Amazon service, but this is not going to affect performance or other technical aspects. It is an upgrade that will simplify the management of multiple instances and relative licenses.

If you need more infos you can contact us directly.
Btw: during April we're releasing some great news about clustering SmartFoxServer, with distributed state, auto load balancing,no single point of failure, dynamic addition/removal of new nodes etc...

cheers
Lapo

--

gotoAndPlay()

brunoma

Re: Using SFS with Amazon EC2 - A more flexible license?

Postby brunoma » 20 Jun 2013, 16:38

What ever happened to this?

Edit: I didn't notice this was in the SFS 1.x Pro/Basic forum. We currently use SFS2X and would love to see this feature.
Lapo
Site Admin

Re: Using SFS with Amazon EC2 - A more flexible license?

Postby Lapo » 20 Jun 2013, 17:21

You can use RightScale, which basically uses Amazon EC2, and uses an automated SFS2X deploy.
See here:
http://www.smartfoxserver.com/overview/partners#hosting
Lapo

--

gotoAndPlay()

Return to “Features Wish List”