AS2 for extensions?

Post here your suggestions for new possible features in SmartFoxServer.

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

milan

AS2 for extensions?

Postby milan » 06 Sep 2005, 07:44

Hello, I'm just interesting if you maybe plan to allow usage of actionscript 2 in extension writing. Because as2 can be used with uml and other oop stuff, it would be nice... :)
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 06 Sep 2005, 16:37

Actually it is not in our immediate plans...

This is more of a personal consideration: Actionscript 1.0 is a very productive language, it allows to quickly test a code prototype and from there writing the real application without having to deal with too many OOP conventions.
There's no strict typing, interfaces and complex inheritance hierarchies.

Obviously this is good for certain types of applications and might not be too good for others. Also certain developers prefer to work by strictly designing all their classes, use interfaces, strict typing etc... while others prefer the quick-and-dirty way which can also very good ... in other words it depends a lot on the type of application you need to develop.

In the near future we'll add the support for Java-based extension which will allow all these great OOP practices (UML, interfaces, strict typing etc...)

So I am wondering if Actionscript 2.0 support would make much sense... AS 2.0 is a great evolution towards strict OOP practices etc... but it is still the "Java little brother" ... so once you can work with Java (and take advantage of tools like Eclipse etc...) would it be so different?

Maybe I'd like to add support for Python. That's a very powerful, yet simple, language that mixes the best of both worlds (strict OOP and productivity of scripting languages)

:)
Lapo
--
gotoAndPlay()
...addicted to flash games
milan

Postby milan » 07 Sep 2005, 07:27

I agree that java is better, but since flash is going in direction of AS2, for many flash developers, which are not using java, I think, would be nice to have it. I don't know how much would this cost you, so it is your decision.
I personaly use eclipse/asdt/mtasc for 90% of flash work and I like this combination because allow me to check for errors quick and to have direct cvs support for all files in project. I'm just lazy to switch to flash to check for errors, etc.
Anyway, smartfox is great, don't get me wrong. Realy good!

Return to “Features Wish List”