Question about Overcast!

Post here your questions about SFS2X. Here we discuss all server-side matters. For client API questions see the dedicated forums.

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

longnt

Question about Overcast!

Postby longnt » 11 Apr 2021, 16:15

Our team are considering deploy Overcast for our production and I have some questions before making the decision:
1 - Are overcast capable of running Unity headless instance? Are there any limitation?
2 - If Overcast cannot run the Unity Headless then what are alternative?
3 - If I must deploy overcast but the server cannot run Unity natively can I use other VPS to run Unity Headless? And how do I do that?
With question 3 how can I call from Overcast to other VPS and request it to run Unity Headless?
Lapo
Site Admin

Re: Question about Overcast!

Postby Lapo » 12 Apr 2021, 09:24

Hello,
1 - Are overcast capable of running Unity headless instance?

No, we run SmartFoxServer instances and database (MySQL) instances.

2 - If Overcast cannot run the Unity Headless then what are alternative?

It's difficult to say without knowing the details. Running an headless unity server can mean many things depending on what these instances do, which in turn determines the size and resources (hardware) required to run each server.

3 - If I must deploy overcast but the server cannot run Unity natively can I use other VPS to run Unity Headless? And how do I do that?

Overcast runs on Amazon AWS infrastructure, so the easiest way would probably be to run in the same environment. If you're familiar with it and the relative API.

With question 3 how can I call from Overcast to other VPS and request it to run Unity Headless?

Again, very difficult to say without knowing the details.
If the Unity headless server runs the game with its own self-contained logic, then the communication between SFS2X and Unity servers would probably minimal and by running both types of servers in the same AWS region/zone you would reduce lag when communicating between the two.

It would be an entirely different story if the architecture requires a continuous fast exchange between these servers as the risk of bottlenecking would be higher.

Cheers
Lapo
--
gotoAndPlay()
...addicted to flash games
longnt

Re: Question about Overcast!

Postby longnt » 12 Apr 2021, 10:17

Thanks, I'll discuss more with the team to decide what we gonna do with the production :D !

Return to “SFS2X Questions”