Why java ?

Post here your questions about SFS2X. Here we discuss all server-side matters. For client API questions see the dedicated forums.

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

genar

Why java ?

Postby genar » 25 Mar 2021, 12:14

Just out of curiosity, what made you choose java for the serverside api ? What speaks against other serverside apis in more performant languages like c+/rust/c#/go ? Especially game servers require high performance and a low memory useage ^^ And do you plan to add other serverside apis later on, now where other languages are rising in popularity ?
Lapo
Site Admin

Re: Why java ?

Postby Lapo » 25 Mar 2021, 15:41

Hi,
debating language speed these days is kind of pointless given the hardware that is available :wink:

Back in the days of early prototyping with SmartFoxServer (17-18 years ago) we could handle over a 1000 CCU with something like a Pentium III 600Mhz with ~64MB RAM available. :D

I mean, in 2012 we pushed over 100K CCU on a ten core machine and didn't even manage to reach 50% CPU utilization. These days that kind of hardware would be completely obsolete. Java has way more performance and scalability that you seem to imply.

As regards the "why Java?"... compared to the other options you have listed:
- Go and Rust didn't even exist in 2004 (SFS1.x) or 2008 (work on SFS2X started at that time)
- C++ was and still is a royal pain in the butt and a massive turn-off for many developers (plus an overkill, given what Java can do)
- C# ... would be a good alternative, but back in those days it wasn't as mature as Java nor as portable.

And do you plan to add other serverside apis later on, now where other languages are rising in popularity ?

We don't have plans to support other languages on the server side, besides Java and Javascript.

Cheers
Lapo
--
gotoAndPlay()
...addicted to flash games
genar

Re: Why java ?

Postby genar » 02 Oct 2021, 16:12

Lapo wrote:Hi,
debating language speed these days is kind of pointless given the hardware that is available :wink:

Back in the days of early prototyping with SmartFoxServer (17-18 years ago) we could handle over a 1000 CCU with something like a Pentium III 600Mhz with ~64MB RAM available. :D

I mean, in 2012 we pushed over 100K CCU on a ten core machine and didn't even manage to reach 50% CPU utilization. These days that kind of hardware would be completely obsolete. Java has way more performance and scalability that you seem to imply.

As regards the "why Java?"... compared to the other options you have listed:
- Go and Rust didn't even exist in 2004 (SFS1.x) or 2008 (work on SFS2X started at that time)
- C++ was and still is a royal pain in the butt and a massive turn-off for many developers (plus an overkill, given what Java can do)
- C# ... would be a good alternative, but back in those days it wasn't as mature as Java nor as portable.

And do you plan to add other serverside apis later on, now where other languages are rising in popularity ?

We don't have plans to support other languages on the server side, besides Java and Javascript.

Cheers

So first of all thanks for an reply, totally forgot that i posted this here ^^

So what about a smartfoxserver c# port for servers ? :) You said that c# is a good alternative and it really is... especially c# seems to grow a lot faster than java... supports more features and receives more updates regular. The best are structs, extensions and pointers. I actually think that smartfoxserver could be a lot faster with a c# server api.

Im actually currently looking for a c# server api which is similar to smartfoxserver because i could really profit from the useage of structs ( performance and garbage, im using an entity component system ) and therefore easier networking ( because if the struct or class exists on c# server and client i could simply transfer it in an easy way without writing a lot of custom serializers and stuff ).

Return to “SFS2X Questions”