Officially supported/recommended JDK/Java

Post here your questions about SFS2X. Here we discuss all server-side matters. For client API questions see the dedicated forums.

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

bibbinator

Officially supported/recommended JDK/Java

Postby bibbinator » 24 Mar 2021, 08:59

Is there anywhere that defines explicitly the JDK and Java versions that are supported an/or recommended?

Seems like that should be added to the Quick Start page for Extensions?
http://docs2x.smartfoxserver.com/Extens ... uick-start
Lapo
Site Admin

Re: Officially supported/recommended JDK/Java

Postby Lapo » 24 Mar 2021, 09:26

Hi,
yes you can read this article:
https://smartfoxserver.com/blog/java-9- ... server-2x/

In short: we ship SFS2X with Java 8 which is the recommended JRE, but we have tested up to JRE 11 in case you need to switch.
Also, recently I've tried running SFS2X under JRE 15 on a Linux box and it seemed to run just fine, although I did not run any stress tests.

The only real issue expected with a more recent Java Runtime is the compatibility with Java 8 Reflection. If the server starts up correctly there should be no problem, since the boot process already makes extensive use of old-school reflection, so to speak.

Cheers
Lapo
--
gotoAndPlay()
...addicted to flash games
bibbinator

Postby bibbinator » 24 Mar 2021, 09:45

I suggest adding a link to this page from the Quick Start because anybody doing this will likely have the latest JDKs/Java. I would also mention the recommended versions directly in the Quick Start page.
c42

Postby c42 » 25 Apr 2022, 13:44

Hi,

Do you have any plans to support JDK 18 and newer? Java 11 active support ends next year and security updates will end in four years. While four years seems a lot of time, for a new project it does not make sense to start using SmartFoxServer unless there is a plan for JDK18+. Now that 18 is released, and you mentioned you played with it, do you have any plans to support it?

Also I read the article about why SFS does not work with JDK18, but I'm not sure I understood it. JDK 18 does not prohibit reflection and Spring works perfectly fine with JDK 18. So, out of curiosity, I wonder why SFS does not work with JDK 18?
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 26 Apr 2022, 07:38

Hi,
depending on which JDK 11 you plan to use its support will last 4-5 extra years. For example Amazon's JDK (Corretto) is supported until 2027).

In any case, yes we plan to eventually move to more recent JDKs and take advantage of potentially interesting features such as Project Loom (i.e. lightweight/green threads)

Cheers
Lapo

--

gotoAndPlay()

...addicted to flash games

Return to “SFS2X Questions”