Error deploying web application archive

Post here your questions about SFS2X. Here we discuss all server-side matters. For client API questions see the dedicated forums.

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

Vcrn

Error deploying web application archive

Postby Vcrn » 02 Mar 2021, 22:16

We've recently begun the process of updating our servers to the new SmartFoxServer version, however we've immediately run into an issue. After updating to the newest version, the server fails to start and throws various errors: https://pastebin.com/KjmE9JSd

After doing some testing to try and fix the issue, I've narrowed it down to the Bugsnag library. We use Bugsnag for error monitoring/tracking and has never been an issue until now. Its important that we're able to use Bugsnag, so I'm hoping there's a fix/workaround that will fix this issue.

To reproduce, place the Bugsnag library (https://github.com/bugsnag/bugsnag-java/releases/tag/v3.6.2) in the SFS2X\extensions\__lib__ folder of a fresh SmartFoxServer installation and issue will occur.
Lapo
Site Admin

Re: Error deploying web application archive

Postby Lapo » 03 Mar 2021, 10:03

Hi,
we tried deploying the bugsnag.jar and noticed similar errors related to the Tomcat startup.
Unfortunately we have no idea why this happens as we don't know this product (bugsnag) and have no idea of what it does. It seems to interfere with Tomcat's boot, but without more details it's pretty hard to guess what it might be doing.

From the errors in your report and those we've seen locally it looks like bugsnag is messing with the classpath, since Tomcat is complaining about missing classes that are normally present in SFS2X's default classpath.

If you have more details let us know.

Thanks
Lapo
--
gotoAndPlay()
...addicted to flash games
Vcrn

Postby Vcrn » 08 Mar 2021, 21:48

Lapo wrote:Hi,
we tried deploying the bugsnag.jar and noticed similar errors related to the Tomcat startup.
Unfortunately we have no idea why this happens as we don't know this product (bugsnag) and have no idea of what it does. It seems to interfere with Tomcat's boot, but without more details it's pretty hard to guess what it might be doing.

From the errors in your report and those we've seen locally it looks like bugsnag is messing with the classpath, since Tomcat is complaining about missing classes that are normally present in SFS2X's default classpath.

If you have more details let us know.

Thanks

Bugsnag monitors/analyzes application errors and crashes and allows for us to easily locate and fix bugs and stability issues in our extension. I reached out to Bugsnag support and relayed the same info and they said the Java notifier code is fully open source and available to view on github if you want to take a look over and see if you spot any potential issues: https://github.com/bugsnag/bugsnag-java

If you have any other info or questions I can pass on to them please let me know.
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 09 Mar 2021, 09:03

Thanks, unfortunately we're not able to go and review their source code.
From the errors you have shown it seems pretty clear that the tool is interfering with the classpath, rendering Tomcat unable to boot normally. Doesn't look like a very reliable tool, if it's not able to work transparently with the host application.

I am sorry, I don't think there's much else we can do on our side.
Lapo

--

gotoAndPlay()

...addicted to flash games

Return to “SFS2X Questions”