How many packet updates on the client are good for performance ?

Post here your questions about SFS2X. Here we discuss all server-side matters. For client API questions see the dedicated forums.

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

genar

How many packet updates on the client are good for performance ?

Postby genar » 26 May 2020, 19:49

My issue is the following...

My server uses MMOItems for representing trees, rocks and other sort of environmental stuff...
The server updates all their attributes every 16ms... aswell as their position... proximity list update is set to 500ms in the mmoroom

I ran a test with 50 of those environment mmoitems and it lagged the hell out of my unity instance, it tells me that the "Smartfoxserver - process event" method is causing the bad performance (16k ms does that method take at some point )... its even that bad that the game crashes at some point... All those 50 mmoitems were in the aoi of the player...

So the main question here is... whats the real problem, the update rate ? Or some part of missing configuration i picked ? Any tipps for updating that amount of items ?

And the most important question... how many mmoitems are acceptable in the aoi of each player ? I need to display around 200-300 "entities" and i hoped i could realise this with mmoitems.
Lapo
Site Admin

Re: How many packet updates on the client are good for performance ?

Postby Lapo » 27 May 2020, 07:52

A general consideration first.
MMOItem should represent dynamic elements in the map. In other words elements that are usually supposed to move, have their properties updated or become interactive. Is there a reason why rocks and trees are dynamic elements in your map?
It sounds a little strage that stationary elements such as tress and rocks need to be updated 60 times per second...

Also, what is the proximityListUpdateMillis value configured for the MMORoom?

I ran a test with 50 of those environment mmoitems and it lagged the hell out of my unity instance, it tells me that the "Smartfoxserver - process event" method is causing the bad performance (16k ms does that method take at some point )... its even that bad that the game crashes at some point... All those 50 mmoitems were in the aoi of the player...

I would need more details to understand this.
Where exactly is the performance issue? Do you have a consistent way to reproduce the problem and show us the result in the Unity profiler?

Thanks
Lapo
--
gotoAndPlay()
...addicted to flash games

Return to “SFS2X Questions”