SFS2X User Properties Confusion

Post here your questions about SFS2X. Here we discuss all server-side matters. For client API questions see the dedicated forums.

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

Fishypants

SFS2X User Properties Confusion

Postby Fishypants » 11 Feb 2015, 16:25

So, I am migrating my project from Smartfox 1.x to Smartfox 2x. I was using user properties a lot (I like them) to store custom data on the user objects.

I noticed on this page of the documentation:
http://docs2x.smartfoxserver.com/Overview/zones-room-architecture
Under Room Variables and User Variables section:
Previously in SmartFoxServer 1.x you had Room/User Variables and Room/User Properties. With SmartFoxServer 2X all custom data is handled via Room/User Variables.

Yet I noticed in the docs there are methods for setting, and getting user properties. They seem to work perfectly fine too.

So my question is, are the docs out dated and user properties were added at a later time, or are the docs correct and user properties will be depricated in a future release? I just want to make sure that I am not using something that might be gone later.

Thanks!
Lapo
Site Admin

Re: SFS2X User Properties Confusion

Postby Lapo » 12 Feb 2015, 09:53

Hi, you are correct, properties do exist in 2X and we don't plan to remove them at any time, they are quite useful.

The statement you have quoted is to be take in its context, that is -> hidden Room/User variables. With this feature you can indeed mimic the same behavior of properties without having to deal with two different entities.

thanks
Lapo
--
gotoAndPlay()
...addicted to flash games
Fishypants

Postby Fishypants » 12 Feb 2015, 18:44

Ahhhh, ok thank you for clearing that up for me Lapo! I have to say, switching to SFS2X . . . I'm loving it. :D Theres so many great features. Great work!
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 12 Feb 2015, 19:06

Great, cheers :)
Lapo

--

gotoAndPlay()

...addicted to flash games

Return to “SFS2X Questions”