Non-SSL Mailer Settings

Post here your questions about SFS2X. Here we discuss all server-side matters. For client API questions see the dedicated forums.

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

efsnet

Non-SSL Mailer Settings

Postby efsnet » 16 Dec 2013, 21:05

Hello,

Is there a way to setup the Mailer such that communication to the mail server is done without SSL?

Currently the smartfox server is setup to point to our smtp server, which doesn't communicate via SSL and I get this error:

Code: Select all

14:24:30,722 WARN  [pool-4-thread-1] signup.SignUpAssistant     - An error occurred while sending an email to: xxx@xx.net -- javax.mail.MessagingException: Can't send command to SMTP host;
  nested exception is:
   javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target

I removed my email address from the output above.

Also, our SMTP server doesn't require username or password, do you know if this will cause an issue with the Mailer?

Thanks,
-Eric
Lapo
Site Admin

Re: Non-SSL Mailer Settings

Postby Lapo » 17 Dec 2013, 08:05

To avoid SSL you can use the regular, non-ssl SMTP port 25.
As regards not using a login and password you can try to simply leave those two settings blank. In general, however, it's not a good idea to leave an SMTP server open to anyone, unless it's a local instance.
Lapo
--
gotoAndPlay()
...addicted to flash games
efsnet

Postby efsnet » 17 Dec 2013, 14:56

The output above was produced using port 25.
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 17 Dec 2013, 17:02

I don't think there's a solution for this at the moment. We should probably add more configuration options to be able to set the various modes of SMTP connections although even then I am not sure if we'd be able to cover all the cases.

The best workaround is that you use the javax.mail API directly so you can find the proper configuration for your email server.
You can check this tutorial for example:
http://www.tutorialspoint.com/java/java ... _email.htm

Hope it helps
Lapo

--

gotoAndPlay()

efsnet

Postby efsnet » 18 Dec 2013, 15:19

Our admin is attempting to modify the server to enable ssl but would like to know if the server should be setup with SSL/TLS or STARTTLS?

Thanks,
-Eric
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 18 Dec 2013, 15:31

It should be SSL, for example we use it with port 465 which is SMTPS = SMTP + SSL.
Lapo

--

gotoAndPlay()

DFTGames

Postby DFTGames » 04 Mar 2015, 01:00

Hi,

I've hit this right now using the signup assistent on SFS2X 2.9.3. Any way around this issue? It seems quite a blocker :cry:

Thanks,
Pino
Cheers!
Pino

Return to “SFS2X Questions”