Cloud License Issue

Post here your questions about SFS2X. Here we discuss all server-side matters. For client API questions see the dedicated forums.

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

ismaello

Cloud License Issue

Postby ismaello » 18 Nov 2013, 13:27

Hi,

We have a few unlimited licenses for our Ec2 instances.

If a instance go down, We will need to start a new instance and log in to license smartfox admin, reset allocation and start smartfox service. We use the same
public ip but Smartfox start allowing only 100 users, so I think Smartfox License Server check private IP (change after stop/start) and doesn't accept license validation request.

I want to automate start/stop instances and validation license. We have enough licenses to extra instances. Is there a API or way to automate reset allocation?

Do you have a suggest practices to start/stop smartfox servers and license validation?

Best regards.
Bax
Site Admin

Re: Cloud License Issue

Postby Bax » 18 Nov 2013, 16:01

Unfortunately the manual deallocation of licenses is mandatory and it is not possible to do it automatically.
Paolo Bax
The SmartFoxServer Team
ismaello

Postby ismaello » 19 Nov 2013, 17:50

Hi,

So If I want to use scaling instances, It can't be automatic because I have to deallocation license.

For example, I use 3 licenses, 3 same elastic IP.

One server running always, if the load is high, a new server will start to help, with the same public IP that it always use. But Smartfox check private IP and doesn't validate license.

some help to resolve this issue.
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 19 Nov 2013, 20:42

Typically one server instance will handle in the tens of thousands of users, depending on the characteristics of the VM and the game type.
This will provide all the necessary time to evaluate how many licenses you may need. So if you are expecting a 50K peak load you can already plan with sufficient precision the amount of licenses to start with.

Of course things might go better than expected and the allocated 50K might turn out to be 70K after some time. In any case, by monitoring the traffic trend, you can easily predict and anticipate the extra growth. When this happens you can decide to provide "more muscles" to the VM by allocating more resources or start one more or instances that will ensure, say, another say 50K users in the system.

If you get in touch with us on our sales@... address we can also provide you with more details about temporary licenses (e.g. 6 months 1 year etc...) if you are interested.

Thanks
Lapo
--
gotoAndPlay()
...addicted to flash games
ismaello

Postby ismaello » 27 Nov 2013, 10:19

Hi,

That isn't a solution form us.

I want to automate start/stop instances. I don't want to login in a license web server to reset allocation. I think It's a logical thing.

Maybe, If I have N games instances in Amazon's cloud and if something is wrong with one. I want to a new instance starts, configs Smartfox and works without a sysop reallocating a license.

I have got enough licenses to do that. My problems is I can't automate reallocation license.

Regards.
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 27 Nov 2013, 14:23

Hi,
I understand the problem, we might be able to provide this kind of service in the future since we have a number of improvements in our todo list as regards the online license server.

I would also add that, in general, the case you have proposed, "one instance goes down", rarely requires to decommission the whole instance and start up a new one. If there's a problem with an instance you are likely to just reboot it. Unless I don't understand what you mean by "going down".

Finally AWS provides ENIs, Elastic Network Interfaces, that seem to be a solution to the use case. ENIs maintain their IP address and MAC and can be attached and detached from server instances. You may want to read here for more details:
http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonVPC/la ... faces.html

Hope it helps
Lapo

--

gotoAndPlay()

...addicted to flash games

Return to “SFS2X Questions”