Good VPS hosting service provider

Post here your questions about SFS2X. Here we discuss all server-side matters. For client API questions see the dedicated forums.

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

gauravS

Good VPS hosting service provider

Postby gauravS » 12 Jun 2012, 07:34

Hi all,

I am new to forums here. I have developed a turn based game using SFS2x community edition but I just cant seem to find an affordable host for hosting the game. I have been on a shared host for quite sometime (3 yrs) and I dont think its advisable to run a multiplayer game on a shared host. Also there are many technical blockages like JVM installed there is 1.5 and SFS2x requires JVM1.6.
I searched forums here a lot and read about rackspace and amazon aws service but they look costly and I do not want to go for cloud hosting right now but a regular VPS provider should do.
So I want to buy a good VPS host around $20 - $30 a month. I am new to linux world, so I would need help in setting some stuff up like installing JVM1.6 there,so the support of VPS should be good. This price is low as I might need to take the SFS2x 500 users license after hitting more than 100CCU, so I need to accommodate for that :)
If anyone here knows a good VPS service they might be using for running SFS games, please do let me know as I am already running short on time and game is all set.

Thanks,
Gaurav
Lapo
Site Admin

Re: Good VPS hosting service provider

Postby Lapo » 12 Jun 2012, 12:50

Lapo
--
gotoAndPlay()
...addicted to flash games
gauravS

Postby gauravS » 12 Jun 2012, 15:20

Hi Lapo,

Thanks for the reply. However as I mentioned, I do not want to go for cloud management hosting. I have read on forums here and watched the youtube video as well which tells how easy it is to use rightscale along with aws amazon service but unfortunately its totally out of budget for indie devs and as I said I need to keep my budget in check so as to accommodate SFS license cost if I were to buy one in future. So I would need a VPS host that would run SFS in a non cloud environment. At max I can pay $30 a month for starters and would expand if I hit a lot of users.
Any suggestions for the host I am looking for (the one that runs good with SFS) would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance.
Jake-GR

Postby Jake-GR » 12 Jun 2012, 18:18

Check out http://tektonic.net, this is the VPS host I have been using for a long time. They wont offer any help setting up SF on it, but its not very hard.
Best thing, the lowest tier costs $15/mo and its fairly powerful. You can also buy upgrades to your account, like extra ram, storage, etc.
Zanpher

Postby Zanpher » 12 Jun 2012, 18:52

Do you (or can you) have instructions on installing Smartfoxserver on that host? For instance, the jvm, mysql, and smartfoxserver? I am very interested in seeing how you did that.
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 12 Jun 2012, 20:44

The instructions for installing SFS2X are provided here:
http://docs2x.smartfoxserver.com/Gettin ... stallation
there is no need to install the JVM.

As regards MySQL, almost all recente Linux OSes use a package management system which makes installing precompile apps super easy.
And if its Windows it is just a matter of downloading the installer and running it, just like SFS
Lapo

--

gotoAndPlay()

...addicted to flash games
gauravS

Postby gauravS » 13 Jun 2012, 03:58

Thanks for the info on tektonic, I will do some research on them. Meanwhile I did a lot of research on forums at webhostingtalk and I am currently considering buying VPS hosting at futurehosting.com. They seem bit costly but they have good repo at webhostingtalk. Has anybody had any experience running SFS with them ?
@Lapo, are you sure there isn't any need to install JVM 1.6 ? I tried running SFS2x on my shared host and it said "no compatible version of JVM was found" along with some INSTALL_4J message. I typed "java version" in console and it showed me JVM 1.5 is installed, and since I dont have root privileges to my shared account, I cant install JVM 1.6. So I assume that JVM1.6 is must for SFS2x to start.

Return to “SFS2X Questions”