Unusual task - sync videos on multiple iPads/Android tablets

Post here your questions about SFS2X. Here we discuss all server-side matters. For client API questions see the dedicated forums.

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

gl0om

Unusual task - sync videos on multiple iPads/Android tablets

Postby gl0om » 20 Jun 2011, 12:46

Hi!

I'd like to play video splitted into muliple regions on 16 iPads or Android tablets. To put it simply, i've got a tv-set built from 16 tablets (4x4), each tablet should play it's own part of a single video. The main problem is to sync all tablet pcs together to play all of the parts of video simultaneously without lags.

Is it possible to make such task, using SFS?
What problems could I meet, if I'll choose SFS to keep tablet pc syncronized?
Could you suggest me something about the task, please?
gl0om

Postby gl0om » 20 Jun 2011, 13:07

Oh, yes, video is not streaming, it'd be preloaed on each device.
Bax
Site Admin

Postby Bax » 21 Jun 2011, 06:55

It seems you just need to send the "play" command in a synchronized way. As all the clients (the 16 tablets) are in the same place, the lag shouldn't be an issues, as they will probably have the same lag with respect to the server (even better if the server is on the local network).
So definitely you can use SFS. Maybe you should also implement additional synchronization points after the initial "play" command, just to make sure you can recover in case videos get out of synch (for example due to different behavior of the devices).
Paolo Bax
The SmartFoxServer Team
gl0om

Postby gl0om » 23 Jun 2011, 07:40

Thanks, bax.

I have another question about my task. What'd I do with error 2048? Is it possible to use standalone player on a tablet with a pack of video files in the same folder. I'd like to prepare video files for each of tablets to load them from local folder. I suppose that it's not easy to do because of local\network access and because of security policy issues.
Bax
Site Admin

Postby Bax » 23 Jun 2011, 11:12

I'm not an expert of Flash security, sorry. Maybe you should look for other resources on the web about this topic.
Paolo Bax
The SmartFoxServer Team

Return to “SFS2X Questions”