decrease of performance?

Post here your questions about SFS2X. Here we discuss all server-side matters. For client API questions see the dedicated forums.

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

Robbilie

decrease of performance?

Postby Robbilie » 15 May 2011, 12:40

hey guys,

Im using unity and am building a mmorpg

My question:
My game world is a veeeeery huge streamed world (a map of 100km x 100km), just one scene so i want to just use one room...

For this huge world, will the ons room be able to handle so many players and what decrease of performance will be there, if any (think so....?) ?

Greetz
Robert
Sigtran

Postby Sigtran » 16 May 2011, 07:34

I would say your client and most likely the server will crash, also the download for it will be huge, so as the traffic, if you will have 100+ people on it at the same time. You should divide the world into suitable local areas - there is no point in hearing / knowing that someone has walked to a tree/ opened a door on the other side of the world.
IMO, if you have a unitary world, you should only update the clients within ~ 30 seconds walking distance (not really possible with sfs ?), so best divide the world into quadrants, which are dynamically loaded - when a client gets to the end of one quadrant, it should teleport him to the next one /etc
Not sure if I can post the name of a game-example, so I just pm'ed it to you.
Robbilie

Postby Robbilie » 16 May 2011, 13:17

this is what i do ;)

The world map is divided in 4km x 4km terrains and only 9 terrains are loaded and only players, models and such in a special range around player are loaded

Return to “SFS2X Questions”