SmartfoxServer Overcast Safe

Post here your questions about SFS2X. Here we discuss all server-side matters. For client API questions see the dedicated forums.

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

heroumi

SmartfoxServer Overcast Safe

Postby heroumi » 28 May 2023, 13:21

Hi, Does SmartfoxServer Overcast include server anti-attack service?
For example DDOS, if my Lobby, Game is ddos, will the increased bandwidth due to ddos be included in the price? Thank
Lapo
Site Admin

Re: SmartfoxServer Overcast Safe

Postby Lapo » 29 May 2023, 08:42

Hi,
Overcast runs in the AWS infrastructure which provide several layers of protection against DDoS.
https://docs.aws.amazon.com/waf/latest/ ... mmary.html

This doesn't exclude that targeted attacks can happen, in which case you may need custom protection such as offered by specialized services such as Cloudflare etc.

For example DDOS, if my Lobby, Game is ddos, will the increased bandwidth due to ddos be included in the price? Thank

Not necessarily but it is possible.
For starters the incoming traffic is not subject to any fee. Only outgoing traffic (i.e. from server --> client) is paid, after it exceeds the quota already included in your server tier.

Typically DDoS attacks aim at shutting down a service by overwhelming it with requests which is more likely to generate high incoming traffic.

If you're interested in learning more on this topic we have a security white paper in our documentation:
http://docs2x.smartfoxserver.com/Overview/white-papers

(third from the top)

Cheers
Lapo
--
gotoAndPlay()
...addicted to flash games
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 29 May 2023, 08:46

It's also worth mentioning that DDoS can mean lots of things: depending on the size and extent of such attack you may or may not need extra layers of protection.

SmartFoxServer already provides many tools to deal with request spam, IP address filtering, auto-banning etc. The white-paper mentioned above recaps many of thise.

Also recently we have added an Exension anti-flood Filter, in version 2.19.0 which helps strengthening custom server side code.
http://docs2x.smartfoxserver.com/Advanc ... ood-filter

Hope it helps
Lapo

--

gotoAndPlay()

heroumi

Postby heroumi » 29 May 2023, 13:51

Thanks for the info,
I would like to further ask that the Overcast SmartfoxServer max offers: A.RT.Medium
Suitable for turn-based and realtime games w/ ~13300 DAU.
If my game server is up to 10,000 CCU, can it be scaled up? Or should I design according to SmartFoxCluster Lobby & Game?
In the case of SmartfoxCLuster, assuming there is a SmartfoxCluster Game server, when I release the game and then want to update a second SmartfoxCluster Game server, does the Client have to change anything?
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 29 May 2023, 15:02

Hi,
servers can be scaled up by migrating to a higher tier (i.e. with more CPU/RAM). The process is relatively quick but it does require some downtime as you need to create a snapshot of your current server and start the new one from that image.

If you're using SmartFoxServer in a Cluster the capacity is scaled up automatically as the CCU count raises (with no interruptions of course).

In the case of SmartfoxCLuster, assuming there is a SmartfoxCluster Game server, when I release the game and then want to update a second SmartfoxCluster Game server, does the Client have to change anything?

By "updating" you mean adding a new Game Server to the Cluster?
If so, you normally don't do it manually, the system automatically scales up/down based on the traffic and on the configuration parameters you have set.

If you want to learn more check this article:
http://docs-overcast.smartfoxserver.com ... c-concepts
At the bottom we explain the "Game Node Orchestration"

Let me know if anything is unclear.
Lapo

--

gotoAndPlay()

heroumi

Postby heroumi » 30 May 2023, 08:08

thank sir
heroumi

Postby heroumi » 30 May 2023, 14:11

one more question, My player count currently around ~5,000 CCU at photon works fine. Can I switch to Overcast SmartfoxServer? Or SmartfoxCluster would be more suitable. If Overcast SmartfoxServer is ok with ~5000 CCU I'd go with it. As SmartfoxCluster seems a bit complicated to me.
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 30 May 2023, 16:16

Hi,
switching will require some conversion work as photon and SmartFoxServer use different approaches and API.

Other than that I don't see the problem. As regards the 5K CCU, it depends on the type of game you're running. A turn based game doesn't require as many resources as a real-time one.

If Overcast SmartfoxServer is ok with ~5000 CCU I'd go with it. As SmartfoxCluster seems a bit complicated to me.

A Cluster can guarantee an higher level of scalability if you're expecting to grow quickly etc... but you don't have to invest in a Cluster in order to run a game for 5K CCU. A single server can work just fine.

It's just a matter of finding the right instance size for your project. You can write a small prototype and run a stress-test directly in Overcast if this helps evaluating the server size, which we recommend. See here:
http://docs-overcast.smartfoxserver.com ... ce-testing

Also the choice of server size is not limited to the basic tiers we offer in the main Overcast page, we can also provide custom instances with as many CPU cores, RAM and storage as needed, if required.

Cheers
Lapo

--

gotoAndPlay()

heroumi

Postby heroumi » 31 May 2023, 05:41

thank you so much
heroumi

Postby heroumi » 02 Jun 2023, 11:14

Hi, Smartfoxserver Overcast Extension is still supporting Javascript right? Are there any other tutorials with Javascript Extension?
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 03 Jun 2023, 15:52

Yes, although Javascript doesn't provide the same level of performance as Java. So on a small server it may be ok for turn baed, but not for real-time.
Other than that the tutorials are availble on the SFS2X docs website:
http://docs2x.smartfoxserver.com/Extens ... uick-start

Cheers
Lapo

--

gotoAndPlay()

heroumi

Postby heroumi » 04 Jun 2023, 08:12

Yes. Thank you. I am testing with Smartfoxserver2X. I would like to ask further if there is a Slack or Discord channel for discussion and support for Perpetual license purchasers?
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 04 Jun 2023, 10:22

Hi,
you can write to use directly, using our info@... or support@... email boxes.

Thanks
Lapo

--

gotoAndPlay()

heroumi

Postby heroumi » 05 Jun 2023, 14:59

Hi, I am still working with Smartfox. There is a remarkable part about GetListroom, which, according to the description, will return the entire list of rooms. What if there are thousands of waiting rooms or several thousand rooms. Even classifying rooms by Getlistroom by group, if each group has thousands of rooms, the Client will experience lag. Is there a way to get only 50-100 random rooms at a time? Or will I have to build my own backend
heroumi

Postby heroumi » 05 Jun 2023, 15:50

I would like to further ask if a room can go from private to public or from public to private.

Return to “SFS2X Questions”