Urgent - Crash - Flash Player 10.1 , all browser

Post here all your questions related with beta SmartFoxServer API, such as Shockwave, Ajax ...

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

fardeen

Urgent - Crash - Flash Player 10.1 , all browser

Postby fardeen » 16 Jun 2010, 19:11

Hi,

We are using SFS for a big game project but actually we have a big issue with the Flash player crashing randomly whenever in our game (pure AS3).

After some investigation, we found the bug occured only in player 10.1, non debug version, in all browser. (Chrome, FireFox, IE)

We also found in Release note of Flash player 10.1 an interesting statement :

If a socket you are using times out, Flash Player may crash when attempting to use it again. To work around this, delete any Socket after a connection attempt times out.

Are you aware of this bug ? Do you have any idea to help us ?

We didn't find a way to resolve this issue in last few days. And we are 5 flashers + 6 QA guys on this bug...

PS: We are using SFSClient 1.5.8.

Release note link :
http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&qscrl ... =&gs_rfai=)
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 19 Jun 2010, 06:16

We are not aware of this bug but it looks like the new Flash Player 10.1 is creating some problems. This is not the first report we get of the 10.1 going haywaire and we've already seen old Flash applications breaking under the new release. :(

If a socket you are using times out, Flash Player may crash when attempting to use it again. To work around this, delete any Socket after a connection attempt times out.

It is unlikely that this is the problem, but we'll double check.
The SmartFox API never reuse the socket when it fails or times out. An attempt is done to connect via the BlueBox using an HTTP request.

Here we haven't done the upgrade yet, however after the first reports of misbehaviors we installed the plugin on a couple of virtualized OSes (windows and macosx)

Under the Mac many websites containing any Flash content simply crash the browser before you can even see anything :(

I don't know... too early to be able to say what's going on but it looks like Adobe has skipped some serious QA this time...
Lapo
--
gotoAndPlay()
...addicted to flash games
fardeen

Postby fardeen » 21 Jun 2010, 13:07

Thanks for your response.

We are still investigating... We are rewriting some part of SFSClient as it's not done as you described. The same socket is always reused (socketConnection is created in the constructor). But apparently the problem is coming from elsewhere...
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 21 Jun 2010, 13:52

The SmartFoxClient is normally used for one session.
If you reuse the SmartFoxClient instance for multiple session then you will be reusing the same socket. Of course this is easily solved by creating a new SmartFoxClient object when starting a new session, no need to rewrite anything.
Lapo

--

gotoAndPlay()

fardeen

Postby fardeen » 22 Jun 2010, 21:16

Hi,

We still have this blocking issue ...

I found that link viewtopic.php?p=27083 and tried to implement the new function but even with your function Flash Player 10.1 is still crashing...

Do you have the changeLog from the version 1.5.8 to the last version (1.6.2) of the client of SFS ? If not, what are the big changes between those versions ?

Thanks a lot for your time !
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 23 Jun 2010, 06:36

I am getting a bit lost :(
You posted about possible problems with the Flash Player 10 but now you seem to be pointing to another issue.
Could you please clarify what problem do you have, what error(s) exactly do you get and possibly a way to reproduce it?

Thanks
Lapo

--

gotoAndPlay()

fardeen

Postby fardeen » 23 Jun 2010, 13:48

Hi,

sorry if i wasn't clear enough...

You can read a better description of our problem here : http://forums.adobe.com/message/2914658

We are stucked with this crash for about 10 days and we are trying to find any solution we can. It's a random crash so very hard to reproduce.

We tried lot of solutions without any success but i stay pretty convinced that the crash is related to the network, so i'm searching in this field. And SFS is the main part of our network system...

So do you have the changeLog from the version 1.5.8 to the last version (1.6.2) of the client of SFS ? If not, what are the big changes between those versions ?

Thank you.
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 23 Jun 2010, 15:13

I don't think we have a change list or at least it was a minor update, maybe the changes are listed in the forum post related with the release which I am not able to find right now.

The latest API are 1.6.3 -> viewtopic.php?t=7543

I have read your post on the Adobe website. If the problem is a crash of the Flash Player there's a low level issue somewhere. The SFS Actionscript API can't do anything nasty to the Flash Player.
Lapo

--

gotoAndPlay()

seanClusta

Postby seanClusta » 25 Jun 2010, 11:21

Has anyone got to the bottom of this yet?
I am looking for a game server for a flash game we're building but reliability is obviously a key requirement. Any ideas what the problem is between sfs<->fp10.1 ?

Thanks
Sean
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 25 Jun 2010, 14:00

I don't think we can assume that there's a problem between SmartFoxServer and Flash Player 10.1

In this post we're discussing an intermittent problem that as of today is not reported by anyone else.
At the moment we don't even have a specific proof of concept of how to reproduce the issue in object, so I wouldn't spread the panic :)

Additionally if there exist an issue at socket level in the new FP 10.1 everyone will be affected and Adobe will be better off providing a quick patch... but these are just speculations.

As regards the reliabilty I think the long list of high traffic projects in our showcase should be a good starting point ;)

http://www.smartfoxserver.com/showcase/
Lapo

--

gotoAndPlay()

seanClusta

Postby seanClusta » 25 Jun 2010, 14:03

Fair play, i was just checking. So its an isolated incident.
Will have a look at the showcase now.
Thanks
fardeen

Postby fardeen » 28 Jun 2010, 16:17

Thx Lapo for your replies, we're still investigating on the crash.

maybe the changes are listed in the forum post related with the release which I am not able to find right now.

If you're not able to find it, there is no chance that we could find it also.

A changelog would be very usefull (and an SVN repositories for the SFS Client.)
fardeen

Postby fardeen » 27 Aug 2010, 15:20

The bug was fixed in the last version of Flash Player. (10.82)
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 27 Aug 2010, 15:36

good to know, thank you
Lapo

--

gotoAndPlay()

Return to “Other Client API”