Closing a SFS/Unity Project = Unresponsive App

Post here all your questions related with SmartFoxServer .Net/Unity3D API

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

Zelek

Closing a SFS/Unity Project = Unresponsive App

Postby Zelek » 29 Jun 2010, 16:05

When I use SFS in a Unity project, closing the application results in a period of about 10 seconds where the application is entirely unresponsive before it closes. This happens in the SFS Tris example project as well as my personal project. It's especially painful in a browser project - it tends to crash Firefox for me.

Reproduction steps:
1) Download the latest example C#/Unity example projects:
http://www.smartfoxserver.com/labs/API/
2) Open 03_SmartFoxTris in Unity and open the Login scene.
3) Build and Run the application. I generally do Windows Standalone or Web Player.
4) After it loads, don't enter any login information - simply click the X in the top right. Notice a significant delay before the app actually closes, where it is entirely unresponsive.

If anyone could confirm/deny this same behavior happens on their machine, that'd be helpful.
ThomasLund

Postby ThomasLund » 30 Jun 2010, 06:07

I dont have this delay here.

But you are also saying the word "Firefox". And thus I just want to point to a known bug in 1.2.4 and 1.2.5 for firefox.

There is a code fix for DNS lookups here (at the end posted by me) :

viewtopic.php?t=6355&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Where DNS lookups fail in Firefox (works all other places).

What you might be seeing is actually a browser crash and not slow reconnect or shutdown. Apply the said fix to a source code version of the dll and try again.
Zelek

Postby Zelek » 01 Jul 2010, 03:28

This problem occurs for me in both Firefox and IE, as well as a stand-alone executable. It even occurs when I run 01_SimpleConnect. I only have one computer to test on, but I had a friend test on his computer. He was able to confirm the problem in both Firefox and IE, though it wasn't a problem in Chrome - his guess was that it was just not evident because Chrome has a separate process for each tab.

I tried making the source code fix for DNS lookups that you mentioned, but did not notice any change in behavior. Could it have something to do with the way my Unity projects are being compiled, or my SmartFox server? I have a small sample app which you can test here, if that would be helpful:
http://www.codecommode.com/WebTest.html

Just open up a couple tabs, load my Unity Web app in one of them and then close that tab.
sonicviz

Postby sonicviz » 09 Jul 2010, 00:36

I have the same behaviour
Zelek

Postby Zelek » 10 Jul 2010, 00:50

sonicviz wrote:I have the same behaviour

Thank you for the confirmation! Was the problem in your own project, or my test link?
sonicviz

Postby sonicviz » 10 Jul 2010, 10:34

My own. Bu tonly with certain demos.
I'm not sure if it's related to the issues I am having with some of the UNity/Smartfix demos I posted in another thread though.
http://sonicviz.com
http://music.sonicviz.com
Bringing the Boogie to the Bitstream
ThomasLund

Postby ThomasLund » 03 Aug 2010, 09:49

OK guys - good news and bad news.

Been running some tests - and while not completely done yet, there are some preliminary results.

First off, its reproducable - sometimes. But it is reproducable with various projects.

The bad news is, that this looks very much like a Unity 2.6.1 bug, and not one that can be worked around. The SFS2X API has the exact same issue, and the entire network layer is totally rewritten.

Another bad news - from what I know, no new Unity releases are planned in the 2.x branch.

The good news - still to be tested a bit more - is that the bug seems to have been fixed in Unity 3 (beta 4 at this stage). Running the exact same project that hangs when run with Unity 2.6.1 works without issues in Unity 3b4.

If you have access to the Unity 3 beta, could you try to re-run your tests and see if this result is the same in your end?

/Thomas
ThomasLund

Postby ThomasLund » 03 Aug 2010, 16:28

And a little more info. Got a hold of one of the QA guys in Unity, and he confirmed this to be a bug in Unity that is fixed for 3.0.

Sorry - nothing I can do here but to tell you to upgrade to Unity 3. Remember they are running a rebate on the upgrade until it launches. Then it goes back to regular price.

Return to “.Net / Unity3D API”