how to make a bus in MMOG?

Post here all your questions related with SmartFoxServer .Net/Unity3D API

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

liverol

how to make a bus in MMOG?

Postby liverol » 28 Mar 2010, 07:00

hi there, i want to make a bus in my game,all the users can see the same bus(same position,rotation),i think i should do this on the server side, am i right?
should i use the server extension? any other better ideas?

if i use extension,i must use AS to do a lot of code work,(like i want to move the bus alone a spline,i should write the spline code in AS,that's not good,unity3d 's animation editor is better for this)...

so,what's your opinion? thanks for hint!!
ThomasLund

Postby ThomasLund » 29 Mar 2010, 11:22

Totally depends on what it is your bus has as a role.

If its just some kind of object that you want to move along a spline without further interaction, then you can simply use Unitys editor to make an animation - and then use a simple "start bus animation" message to have all clients start the animation in the game. That should within reason start the bus the same time on all clients (give and take a few frames due to network time).

Thats at least one way to do it simple

/Thomas
liverol

Postby liverol » 30 Mar 2010, 00:47

thanks for the answer, i just want to make a airship ,like in WoW,uses can get in,see each other,or move a little,also they get out whenever they want.

so when the uses get in,it's also a problem to sync all their position.(due to the server sending/receiving latency,users position offset exists)
ThomasLund

Postby ThomasLund » 31 Mar 2010, 19:44

doesnt sound like its suuuuuper important that its pixel perfect though is it?

So you can still use that method and put the client camera onto the airship. If someone is lagging behind a few frames, then it would really matter as its not (from the sound of it) really interactions between players that have to be timed perfectly.

Alternatively have a server extension run the spline calculation and have each client sync the position - including interpolation (check out the 3d island demo for some simple example code)

/Thomas

Return to “.Net / Unity3D API”