How to skip XML loading?

Post here your questions about the OpenSpace 1.x or notify bugs and suggestions.

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

Olovarno

How to skip XML loading?

Postby Olovarno » 25 Mar 2010, 12:00

Hi guys!

I'm working on isometric world using OpenSpace and now we have a critical change to do: removing loading time betweens maps!

We are using same tileLibrary, avatarLibrary and backgroundLibrary in all maps, so it isn't problem, but OpenSpace renders maps only later loading XML file (it has a String as parameter, in <openspace>.loadMap).

My idea: I can load all XML files and keep them in an array containing all XML variables, so when user goes to other map, instead using .loadMap, I'd love to do same process invoked by that method, but using my XML variable there.

In other words, I'd need know which functions and variables you use after loading XML in order to skip this step. Is it possible?

Our project is almost ready, we already bought licenses of SFS and OS, so it's a critical step now to get success there.

Thanks in advance!
Bax
Site Admin

Postby Bax » 25 Mar 2010, 16:12

Skipping that step is not possible, but even if it would be, you wouldn't get a big improvement. In fact the time it takes to OpenSpace to render a map is the sum of:
- the time it takes to load and parse the map xml file: usually quite fast on a standard DSL connection, and almost independent of the client resources;
- the time it takes to generate the tiles and their skins and add them on the stage: it is a process split over multiple frames or the Flash Player would take 100% of the CPU. It can take some seconds on larger maps and less performing clients.
Even if you could bring to 0 the xml loading time, you would have an almost invisible improvement.
Paolo Bax
The SmartFoxServer Team
Olovarno

Postby Olovarno » 26 Mar 2010, 06:00

Thanks for your reply. We'll try to find another solution, now.

Return to “OpenSpace v1 discussions and help”