Looking for basic documentation on creating skin libs...

Post here your questions about the OpenSpace 1.x or notify bugs and suggestions.

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

tholt

Looking for basic documentation on creating skin libs...

Postby tholt » 05 Jan 2010, 19:57

I'm currently porting a now-dead MetaPlace world into OpenSpace + SFS and could sure use some help getting a skin library created. From the MetaPlace export, I have a full set of iso tile images that are 90 pixels wide and 45 tall as well as various flat sprites.

What I'm looking for is a basic step-by-step to create a new skin file. I'm pretty new to using Flash so don't know my way around creating things too well. I've seen a few references to do things like "Import the images" but I'm not sure how.

Any pointers or online docs?
Bax
Site Admin

Postby Bax » 06 Jan 2010, 17:00

Check the OpenSpace Editor documentation.
Paolo Bax
The SmartFoxServer Team
tholt

Postby tholt » 07 Jan 2010, 01:18

bax wrote:Check the OpenSpace Editor documentation.

The documentation in the manual is pretty sparse...

[quote]The skins are movieclips or sprites contained in the Flash library of an external swf file (letʼs call it “skins library fileâ€
Bax
Site Admin

Postby Bax » 07 Jan 2010, 08:17

If want to use OpenSpace, you will need some experience in Flash and ActionScript.
Paolo Bax
The SmartFoxServer Team
tholt

Postby tholt » 08 Jan 2010, 03:23

bax wrote:If want to use OpenSpace, you will need some experience in Flash and ActionScript.

So much for "help" :P
Bax
Site Admin

Postby Bax » 08 Jan 2010, 06:29

Sorry, but this is not the place where basic Flash principles can be learnt. There's plenty of websites providing Flash tutorials from the ground up. You can also take a look at http://www.gotoandplay.it which is oriented to game development.
Paolo Bax
The SmartFoxServer Team
tholt

Postby tholt » 11 Jan 2010, 18:21

Thanks, that's actually useful information.

What I'm really looking for is something for artists who need to create art for a project and put it in a library. They don't know programming, and they don't know hard core flash. They do know art, and they just want to put it in a .fla/.swf file so someone else can use it in OpenSpace.
Bax
Site Admin

Postby Bax » 17 Jan 2010, 09:40

If you check the skins and backgrounds libraries provided with the OpenSpace trial, you will see that there's no programming involved: just setting the export class name.
Also the map editor is fully visual, so no issues for pure designers (provided they read the Editor manual carefully).
Paolo Bax
The SmartFoxServer Team

Return to “OpenSpace v1 discussions and help”