Moving assets from one point to another on the map/room

Post here your questions about the OpenSpace 1.x or notify bugs and suggestions.

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

rut1630

Moving assets from one point to another on the map/room

Postby rut1630 » 06 Aug 2009, 11:06

Another question if i might:

Lets say an avatar is inside a room. If the assets in the room, are actually
part of the tile system, How can i make one to be shift from one point to
another- lets say- moving a chair from one corner to another ?

Thanks
Bax
Site Admin

Postby Bax » 07 Aug 2009, 05:42

This is not possible in the current engine. In the next release it will be possible to make users edit maps at runtime.
Paolo Bax
The SmartFoxServer Team
rut1630

Next release

Postby rut1630 » 07 Aug 2009, 08:13

Ok, thanks a lot, when do you plan to release this next version ?
peterraq

Postby peterraq » 02 Nov 2009, 20:40

Hi Lapo, hi Bax,

we are planning on a new project and we are thinking about integrating open space.
But we definitely need the possibility to edit the maps at runtime.
Smooth zoom-In, zoom-out and scrolling while zoomed-in (as described here: viewtopic.php?t=5787) would also be necessary.

So, do you have a release date for your major open space update yet?
(Or maybe you have a beta version ready?)

Regards,

peter
anilone

Postby anilone » 03 Nov 2009, 06:35

I have some confusion over what you mean by "user can edit map at runtime". So Rather than discuss what it is, i wish to know "rut1630" requirement is possible or not in next version?

To move a chair or any movie clip from one tile to another,
The tile or movie clip should be capable of receiving events.

Limitations: Current version of OS doesn't have events(mouseover etc) associated with Tiles. Skins will only get event if it is on non walkable tile. These two limitations make it difficult to move an object from one tile to any other tile. The target tile too need to be non-walkable tile?

Do we need a mix of walkable tile for avatar walking and non walkable for asset movements/placing etc? We need to have walk ability control at runtime. Will there be provision to change tile properties at run time which is not recommended in current version.

Since even next version won't support adding dynamic skin to tile. Do we need to have tiles with all possible skin it can have? Say if i need movement of chair, table, sofa, bed, tree etc, Do all tiles in the map should have these skins?

I have read somewhere in forum that the map should be reloaded to reflect the change. Is it true? Then I am afraid that there would be hundreds of reloads during 30 min game play?
Anil
Bax
Site Admin

Postby Bax » 03 Nov 2009, 09:46

peterraq,
we are doing our best to make a beta available by the end of November.

anilone,
I'll try to clarify the way map editing will work in the next release of OpenSpace by providing a list of features we have implemented.

A) Users can enter EDIT MODE to make changes to the currently loaded map. When entering EDIT MODE, standard user interaction is disabled and avatars are removed from the scene. When EDIT MODE is left, map changes (if any) are submitted to a dedicated server-side extension which takes care of saving them and sending a notifications to the clients connected to the SmartFoxServer room linked to that map. These clients allow normal map interaction until the map update notification is received, in which case the map must be reloaded to get the latest version.

B) Users can click a map item (tile and supertile) to select it. Only tile/group instances flagged as "removable" inside the OpenSpace Editor can be selected.

C) Fully customizable map item selection highligther: a custom DisplayObject can be passed to OpenSpace to be used as item selection highligther. When a map item is selected, its data is passed to the selection highligther class (a specific interface must be implemented).

D) Users can drag items from an external source and drop them on the map. Drag operations are handled by OpenSpace directly.

E) Users can drag map items in a new location on the map, or drag them outside the map to remove them.

F) Tiles can be flagged inside the Editor so that they do not accept a drop action, in order to avoid incongruent stacking of items (for example a table above a lamp).

G) During drap&drop operations, tiles give a visual feedback highlighting areas where drop is allowed or not. Highlight color and alpha values are customizable.

Also, take into account that:

1) runtime map editing is tightly integrated with a specific OpenSpace inventory system (not able to provide additional details on this now);

2) realtime map editing (each single map change immediately shows up on the other clients, without the need to reload) is not supported;

3) OpenSpace doesn't implement a default authorization control system to prevent unauthorized map editing actions. Implementing the preferred method to allow a user initiate the editing process on the client-side is up to the developer.
Paolo Bax
The SmartFoxServer Team
anilone

Postby anilone » 04 Nov 2009, 05:22

Thanks Bax for the detailed reply. :)

D) Users can drag items from an external source and drop them on the map. Drag operations are handled by OpenSpace directly.

E) Users can drag map items in a new location on the map, or drag them outside the map to remove them.

The questions are
1. We need to switch to 'EDIT MODE' for drag and drop from external source to map, from map to new location on map? Right?

2. Can we drag and drop to all kind of tiles ( walkable and non walkable )?

3. Will there be any limitation on other behavior of a tile ( eg: walkability) if it is flagged to accept drop operation?

4. Can I configure Drag and drop? For example i need to make a new copy of object on drag and drop the new one. Meaning if I drag and drop a chair, I need a new chair, Can i do it?

Can I check the user privilege to allow drag an object? Allow user to drag and drop based on the game points/cash they have?

B) Users can click a map item (tile and supertile) to select it. Only tile/group instances flagged as "removable" inside the OpenSpace Editor can be selected.

Should we be in 'EDIT MODE' to do this? If not what will happen to avatar if I select a tile. Will it walk to that tile?
Anil
Bax
Site Admin

Postby Bax » 04 Nov 2009, 18:22

anilone wrote:The questions are
1. We need to switch to 'EDIT MODE' for drag and drop from external source to map, from map to new location on map? Right?

Yes.

anilone wrote:2. Can we drag and drop to all kind of tiles ( walkable and non walkable )?

Yes. The only limitation is given by the Tile "allowDrop" parameter: if set to false, you can't drop another tile on it.

anilone wrote:3. Will there be any limitation on other behavior of a tile ( eg: walkability) if it is flagged to accept drop operation?

Not sure I understand: if you drop a tile on another, the previous one will be "covered" by the newly dropped one. So unless the new tile has a bottom elevation greater than 0, the walkability of the previous tile will have no effect.

anilone wrote:4. Can I configure Drag and drop? For example i need to make a new copy of object on drag and drop the new one. Meaning if I drag and drop a chair, I need a new chair, Can i do it?

Copy on drag and drop is not available. You will need to drag a new chair from an external inventory.

anilone wrote:Can I check the user privilege to allow drag an object? Allow user to drag and drop based on the game points/cash they have?

This is up to you: OpenSpace loads and passes the inventory to your application, then you have to handle it. Also, initiating a drag operation is up to you, so you can apply privileges.

anilone wrote:

Should we be in 'EDIT MODE' to do this? If not what will happen to avatar if I select a tile. Will it walk to that tile?

All map editing interaction can be performed in EDIT MODE only.
Paolo Bax
The SmartFoxServer Team
laxersaz

Postby laxersaz » 30 Nov 2009, 16:35

Hello,

thanks for explaining the future features in such detail. Since we are in the process of making a concept for a multiplayer game for release in March 2010, we are currently evaluating some game engines on the market. Yours looks very promising but we would definitely need the edit feature of the maps. Is there a way to be notified when the next version is available?

Thanks,
Laxersaz
Bax
Site Admin

Postby Bax » 30 Nov 2009, 17:32

We will post message in this forum.
Paolo Bax
The SmartFoxServer Team
darian311

Next major release

Postby darian311 » 19 Jan 2010, 10:31

I see the version number at the bottom of the open-space site is 1.0.1 for the editor. Is that the current version of OpenSpace and also do you expect the next major version beta to be out soon? My project really needs drag and drop and hilighting like you mentioned.
Bax
Site Admin

Postby Bax » 20 Jan 2010, 10:01

Yes, the beta will be available soon. Stay tuned.
Paolo Bax
The SmartFoxServer Team
alfaodin

drag and drop

Postby alfaodin » 17 Aug 2010, 17:08

Hi, but can we know when the drag and drop event starts and in some cases deactivate this event :?:
Bax
Site Admin

Re: drag and drop

Postby Bax » 18 Aug 2010, 07:28

alfaodin wrote:Hi, but can we know when the drag and drop event starts and in some cases deactivate this event :?:

OpenSpace 2 has been released. Please check its documentation and the specific forum.
Paolo Bax
The SmartFoxServer Team

Return to “OpenSpace v1 discussions and help”