Starting new Project... where to start?

Need help with SmartFoxServer? You didn't find an answer in our documentation? Please, post your questions here!

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

kers7754

Starting new Project... where to start?

Postby kers7754 » 11 Nov 2010, 01:56

I am starting a MMOG where players will have extensive avatar customization, multiple animation states (digging, sitting, walking, idle). I will also have the need for persistant deformation of the world where people can build houses.

Is this something that can be done with SFS and OpenSpace Engine along with some dedicated computer hardware and RDBMS?

If so, what should I do to get started? I have purchased and read Flash Multiplayer Virtual Worlds book that was recommended by SFS and I am able to build a custom map with the OpenSpace Engine editor. I can connect to a local SFS server and run my custom map.

My skills in Flash are a little lacking, so maybe I should start learning Flash better? Or should I be looking at other technologies?

Thanks in advance for the honest information.
--Jeff
BigFIsh

Postby BigFIsh » 11 Nov 2010, 03:45

The ideal place to start would be the documentation - by reading the tutorials and examples provided.

If you're going to use OpenSpace, then check out http://www.openspace-engine.com/support

My skills in Flash are a little lacking, so maybe I should start learning Flash better? Or should I be looking at other technologies?
It would depend on how much you already know about programming. If you are familiar with java or C or similar, then learning AS3 shouldn't be too hard.
Smartfox's forum is my daily newspaper.

Return to “SmartFoxServer 1.x Discussions and Help”