Can SFS work with action games?

Need help with SmartFoxServer? You didn't find an answer in our documentation? Please, post your questions here!

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

GoldFire33

Can SFS work with action games?

Postby GoldFire33 » 18 Apr 2010, 03:06

I'm working on an action game where players have dune buggy type vehicles and can shoot from these vehicles at each other. Since SFS is only TCP and can't use UDP, will I have to use a different option like Photon?
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 20 Apr 2010, 15:01

We had many customers in the past years who have created real time action games with absolutely no problem.
In general any Flash-based multiplayer action games are all based on TCP since there's no UDP support in Flash and there are some great examples out there.

We also created a demo action game, which you can test here:
http://showcase.smartfoxserver.com/batt ... eFarm.html

A great example of TCP-based action game is this Stick Arena: http://www.xgenstudios.com/play/stickarena

Also we're going to soon release a Unity-based FPS demo that demonstrates realtime interaction.
Lapo
--
gotoAndPlay()
...addicted to flash games
GoldFire33

Postby GoldFire33 » 20 Apr 2010, 18:04

Thanks for the reply, and I'm glad to hear about the Unity demo (I'm using Unity). I look forward to checking out that demo when it is released.
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 21 Apr 2010, 10:50

Sure, it should be out in 3-4 weeks.
Meanwhile stay tuned for some major announcements coming next week.
The next major release is getting closer and we'll soon publish a lot of details, some of them will certainly catch your attention (binary protocol and udp support for example ;) )
Lapo

--

gotoAndPlay()

...addicted to flash games

Return to “SmartFoxServer 1.x Discussions and Help”