sending movieclip

Need help with SmartFoxServer? You didn't find an answer in our documentation? Please, post your questions here!

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

Annecy

sending movieclip

Postby Annecy » 10 May 2005, 12:53

Can we use sendObject() to send a clip ? (the instance of the clip to send is on the root; the clip could be for exemple a square, a cercle, a line...).

How can we do exactly ? Have you an exemple somewhere ?

I'd try different methods without sucess. (creating empty clip on the receiver and attach it with de clip received...)

Michel
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 10 May 2005, 14:18

It would be great... but actually it is impossible! :shock: :D

There is no way to send movieclips, not with our technlogy nor with any others available. Vector data contained in a movieclip is not accessible from the Actionscript API... that's why you can't transmit a clip.

On the other hand you can send the size, position, rotation etc... to other clients and they will update their view accordinlgy.

For example in the avatar chat we don't send the actual movie clip to all clients, we just send the "type" of clip and the position. Those who will receive this data will show on screen the same type of clip in the same position... that's the trick! :)

hope it helps
Lapo
--
gotoAndPlay()
...addicted to flash games
b4blue

Postby b4blue » 12 Jul 2005, 07:51

I never thought of this, but it should be possible to send movie clips. How come they (Macromedia) never wanted to enable this? Hmmm, I can't really think where I would need this... maybe that's why?
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 12 Jul 2005, 16:26

Mmm... actually sending movieclips wouldn't be very easy! It's a very complex type of object and it could contain not only vector data but also bitmaps, sounds and video... not very easy to handle :shock: :)
Lapo

--

gotoAndPlay()

...addicted to flash games

Return to “SmartFoxServer 1.x Discussions and Help”