Using with a different client than Flash

Need help with SmartFoxServer? You didn't find an answer in our documentation? Please, post your questions here!

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

David

Using with a different client than Flash

Postby David » 06 Feb 2008, 20:25

Hello,

I have an upcoming project that needs a multiuser technology that can both handle Flash clients as well as Unity3D clients (http://unity3d.com/).

Is it something feasible by a 3rd party like me to port the client API to another technology? Are the source of the API available? Are there already similar efforts to port the API to other technology that have been done or that are in progress? I've found some posts on creating a bridge between Director and Flash to use the Flash API but nothing on a complete port.

So, would it be a viable solution to go with SmartFoxServer with such a requirement?

Thanks for your help
David

Postby David » 06 Feb 2008, 21:58

Ok, I downloaded the pro version instead of the lite and found out that the client API sources are available.

It definitely seems like something technically feasible to port it to another platform but I was wondering about the legality of doing that. What is the license regarding the client source-code? Are derivatives allowed or do they fall under the licence.txt found the main directory?
ThomasLund

Postby ThomasLund » 14 Mar 2008, 07:56

Did you get further on this David?

I've started out looking for exactly the same solution as you (Unity) and stumbled onto this post.

Feel free to contact me directly to talk about it - or here.
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 14 Mar 2008, 10:16

Hi ThomasLund,
there aren't too many problems in doing this.
If you drop me an email I will give you more details as I did with David.

info { at } smartfoxserver.com
Lapo
--
gotoAndPlay()
...addicted to flash games
potmo

Postby potmo » 17 Mar 2008, 07:25

I have done a (almost) complete port to director. I started out with making a bridge but then i made a port. I would say it's about a week or two of work to do a port. Its nothing hard to do, it just takes some time cos' there are a bit of commands to port.

b.t.w The port to Director/Shockwave is available under Gnu GPL. I don't know where you can download it nowadays but it is out there somewhere.
Nisse Bergman
Raketspel
ThomasLund

Postby ThomasLund » 17 Mar 2008, 15:59

Hey - I started the port to C# 3 days ago, and can already connect/disconnect/login/logout and a few of the basic commands.

So started to do a complete port right now - slightly pending an agreement with the SFS guys
csharpjava

Postby csharpjava » 17 Mar 2008, 18:48

a c# wrapper would be awesome. thanks ThomasLund

Return to “SmartFoxServer 1.x Discussions and Help”