Creating room not triggering SFS Basic 1.5.5

Need help with SmartFoxServer? You didn't find an answer in our documentation? Please, post your questions here!

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

mistermind

Creating room not triggering SFS Basic 1.5.5

Postby mistermind » 22 Jan 2008, 12:31

One thing that is killing me here. Im trying to create a room and I have no response from the server:
When I try to do this:

Code: Select all

var room:Object = new Object;
room.name = _root.clan;
room.isGame = false;
room.maxUsers = 10000;
smartfox.createRoom(room,clanRoomID)
clanRoomCreated = true;

I get this:

Code: Select all

[Sending]: <msg t='sys'><body action='createRoom' r='101'><room upd='0' tmp='1' gam='0' spec='undefined' exit='1'><name><![CDATA[Knights of Shadow]]></name><pwd><![CDATA[undefined]]></pwd><max>10000</max><vars></vars></room></body></msg>

But no response from [Receiving]. Am I doing something wrong or is it a bug on SFS Basic 1.5.5?
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 22 Jan 2008, 13:34

Is the user logged in a room?
You can't start creating rooms without joining "somewhere"
Lapo
--
gotoAndPlay()
...addicted to flash games
mistermind

Postby mistermind » 23 Jan 2008, 16:38

thanks lapo that was exactly the issue :) -silly me- :oops:
I'll post some neet examples of how things are going on this new version of my client engine for Ederon.com
As far as I'm concern the only issue I'll probably have to deal with like bax said is concurrency, but so far I haven't found a easy way to deal with it on SFS Basic since the server side extensions are very limited on my version, and I'm still very concern on swaping to SFS Pro because I don't want to mess with my config file from SFS Basic 1.5.5.

Any hints on the migration and if its reliable even thou its not fully needed?
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 23 Jan 2008, 17:08

Sorry I don't get it. What concurrency are you talking about?
SFS Basic since the server side extensions are very limited on my version

SFS Basic does not support extensions ;)
Any hints on the migration and if its reliable even thou its not fully needed?

If you migrate your configuration to SFS PRO your application will keep working as expected.
Then you can start moving part of your client side logic to the server side, if this is what you need.
Lapo

--

gotoAndPlay()

...addicted to flash games
mistermind

Postby mistermind » 25 Jan 2008, 14:18

The problem I have with concurrency is basically when 2 users try to do the same thing at the same time. Happens pretty often in my client engine.
Like a problem I have quite often in the lobby:
A player creates a game. Another player joins it at the same time as some other player. Even thou the first player who joins setup a persistent variable that only he can change, The other user is also trying to trigger the same command, causing a client error and making that player logs out automatically with the "room is full" error.
bax said its probably easier and more reliable to deal with concurrency on server side, but I can't really picture how would that work not being client side. I'm pretty exited in deed to migrate to Pro, but I don't know exactly how I can solve these problems using it :D
Bax
Site Admin

Postby Bax » 28 Jan 2008, 08:28

mistermind wrote:bax said its probably easier and more reliable to deal with concurrency on server side, but I can't really picture how would that work not being client side. I'm pretty exited in deed to migrate to Pro, but I don't know exactly how I can solve these problems using it :D

If you check the extension development related documentation you will see that you can catch a number of events on the server-side, for example the room join. When the first user joins, you can set a variable on the server-side, and if another user joins the same room, you can check if this is allowed or not. If not, you can block this join request and send back a custom message to the client.
Paolo Bax
The SmartFoxServer Team
mistermind

Postby mistermind » 30 Jan 2008, 15:27

That is awsome :)
I'll order it right now then and post pound the release Im making right now since concurrency is going to be a HUGE problem in the next release
(A random match button that will automatically get people in game rooms)

Return to “SmartFoxServer 1.x Discussions and Help”