Smartfox and Red5 server/hosting requirements...

Need help with SmartFoxServer? You didn't find an answer in our documentation? Please, post your questions here!

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

poppop

Smartfox and Red5 server/hosting requirements...

Postby poppop » 30 Oct 2007, 09:19

Hello again,

I see in the docs, that for a "High traffic" game, the server requirements for SmartFoxServer are:

-------------------------------------------
Dual 2.0Ghz CPU or higher
- 1Gb Ram
- Server version of the Sun JVM
-------------------------------------------

This seems fine, and i can see many VPS for about $99 per month that would fit this.

BUT red5 has very little documentation, and i do not really know what server requirements would be for a live webcam chat, AND smartfox running on the same sever/hosting plan.

ALSO, despite now knowing quite alot about how smartfox works, and getting our games working great on local pcs, we have no experiance at all with servers, or which companies can be trusted.

Can anyone who has a VPS or a dedicated server with smartfox (maybe red5) running give me any advice to what i need, what bandwidth i may need, settings, software.

Is installing SFS on a host, as easy as it is install on a local computer.

Thanks for any info.

Regards.

(quick example, h**p://www.managemybox.com/boxstandard06.php offers INTEL Core2Duo E6400, 1024MB DDR RAM ,1500GB Monthly Bandwidth. But i dont know the company is trustworth, and i dont know if the server would let me install SFS and red5)
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 30 Oct 2007, 13:24

The provided (dual core / 1Gb) tech specs are ok to start with. The problem you'll probably face first is bandwidth.

Here -> http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flash/artic ... _live.html
you can learn more about how much traffic is generated by live flash streaming.

ALSO, despite now knowing quite alot about how smartfox works, and getting our games working great on local pcs, we have no experiance at all with servers, or which companies can be trusted.

We are currently recommending ISOInteractive for dedicated SFS hosting and I am quite sure they would be able to setup Red5 for you as well.
They are going to launch a specific website for hosting, meanwhile you can contact them here -> troy(at)isointeractive.com

Is installing SFS on a host, as easy as it is install on a local computer

Yes it is. Two steps:
1. run the installer
2. configure firewall ( if present )
Lapo
--
gotoAndPlay()
...addicted to flash games
poppop

Postby poppop » 30 Oct 2007, 22:17

wow, Lapo,

I dont fully understand that info... but the way i see it, (which is hopfully wrong),

Every user on the chatroom that is using video/streaming webcam chat, will be using 2.3mb of bandwidth per second?!

Is this correct?

Also, (sorry, i know this has nothing to do with you), what bandwidth and storage space would you recommend for red5 and smf, starting with let's say, 100 users, to match the smartfox licence we will get first.

Cheers.
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 31 Oct 2007, 13:43

Every user on the chatroom that is using video/streaming webcam chat, will be using 2.3mb of bandwidth per second?!

2.3Mbit?? fortunately no! but you can get close to the half of that if you crank the quality up :)

If you check the table in the middle of the article it basically says that, depending on the size and quality of A/V that you choose you go from a minimum of 56Kb/s to a max of 1196 Kb/s ( talking about Kbits , not KBytes )

Also, (sorry, i know this has nothing to do with you), what bandwidth and storage space would you recommend for red5 and smf, starting with let's say, 100 users, to match the smartfox licence we will get first.

This is always difficult to say...
Storage: installing SFS & Red5 can take up 100-150 Mbytes of disk space which can be handled by any hard drive, the rest depends on your needs.

Bandwidth: you have to do the math. Choose your A/V quality, and multiply by the values in that table.
100 chatting users can be handled in 128Kbit or so
Lapo

--

gotoAndPlay()

...addicted to flash games

Return to “SmartFoxServer 1.x Discussions and Help”