This is driving me crazy

Need help with SmartFoxServer? You didn't find an answer in our documentation? Please, post your questions here!

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

capdetrons

anyone had the same problem?

Postby capdetrons » 26 Aug 2013, 18:44

hi, I have looked around but I haven't found a similar situation. I installed smartfox server and it allows myself to connect from my website adress via but not from my PC. I am guessing it must be due to security restrictions from the player, I'm using v. 11.

I used to be able to chat with it, like 8 months ago, but back then I remember I was able to launch my chat pointing to my internal ip and now I can't.

Am I missing something easy to spot or could it be the new players? Attached is the error message I get from javascript.
javascriptMessage.JPG

I know I can't demand for a reply, but please, if someone has the slightest clue, let me hear about it. If nothing can be done about this, I will go on and try running sfs 2X, but the problem is I hardly have an idea on as2, let alone, as3...

Thanks
rjgtav

Re: anyone had the same problem?

Postby rjgtav » 27 Aug 2013, 09:30

Hi,

When playing a *.swf file from your computer, as a security measure, the Flash Player has some restrictions in terms of what the flash file can access.
The error you're getting on your PC is telling that the flash player has prevented a network connection to the localhost, which is why you're not being able to connect to SFS from your own PC.

The fix is really simple. The flash player, when running a local file, can only either access the network or the file system. By default it will only be able to access the file system and not the network.
In order to change it to access the network instead, you have to go to the Publish Settings screen and change the Local play-back security setting to "Access network only".

Hope this helps
Skills: SFS Pro, SFS2X, AS2.0/AS3.0, Java, HTML5/CSS3/JS, C#
Portfolio: https://rjgtav.wordpress.com/
SFS Tutorials: http://sfs-tutor.blogspot.com/ - Discontinued. Some examples may be bugged.
capdetrons

This is driving me crazy

Postby capdetrons » 27 Aug 2013, 09:30

securitySettingsPanel.JPG
I keep getting the change security settings message in the flash manager eventhough I have changed them. Could this be related to antivirus or firewalls?

I'm using chrome internet explorer on windows 8 and Norton watches my virus threats or firewall.
capdetrons

Postby capdetrons » 27 Aug 2013, 09:36

Thank you so much, rjgtav. Yes it has helped.
rjgtav

Postby rjgtav » 27 Aug 2013, 10:11

capdetrons wrote:
portConfigure.JPG
I just fell into this page after posting and realized there's a point I might have done wrong.

should our swfs be located in the C:\SmartFoxServerPRO_1.6.6\Server\webserver\webapps\root\Examples folder?

I attach my router settings. Are these correct?

The swfs can be anywhere you want, just make sure that they have the correct local playback settings.

Regarding your ports configuration, I suggest you to use 9339-9339 and 8080-8080 port ranges instead of a 8080-9339 one. The rest seems fine. Maybe you need to also configure the triggering ports and protocol.
SFS Tutorials: http://sfs-tutor.blogspot.com/ - Discontinued. Some examples may be bugged.
rjgtav

Re: This is driving me crazy

Postby rjgtav » 27 Aug 2013, 10:16

capdetrons wrote:
I keep getting the change security settings message in the flash manager eventhough I have changed them. Could this be related to antivirus or firewalls?

I'm using chrome internet explorer on windows 8 and Norton watches my virus threats or firewall.

Please do not create multiple topics. Let's use only this topic and do one step at a time.

Are you still getting the JavaScript alert? If not, then it means that the security settings are not preventing the connection to the server anymore.
capdetrons

Postby capdetrons » 27 Aug 2013, 14:06

Sorry, about all the posts.

I think I have it working. I can connect locally and from the network and see all the users in the admin chat zones.

I believe I will be able to set the ports like you suggest. Excuse my ignorance but Isn't the protocol UDP and TCP?

I attach the router's settings:
routerSettings.JPG
capdetrons

Postby capdetrons » 27 Aug 2013, 22:15

rjgtav wrote:
capdetrons wrote:

Please do not create multiple topics. Let's use only this topic and do one step at a time.

Are you still getting the JavaScript alert? If not, then it means that the security settings are not preventing the connection to the server anymore.

Hello, rjgtav, sorry for all the posts. I'll watch the way I post my questions in the forum... I don't have to tell you, I haven't read the forum's rules and I apologize. I was used to so many other forums out there where you opened a new thread with each problem you encountered. Sorry again.

No, I don't get the Javascript alert, but I don't think i can connect. Unless it is due to the chrome explorer because I tried leaving the server running for a while and accessed my site from a public internet place with no luck. In my PC I have my local's chat.swf ip point to the local ip: 192.168.1.10 and in my site it points to the global ip. In the admin console I see and am able to exchange messages with all the users. The flash player settings manager is correct as well...

I don't know what to try.
capdetrons

Postby capdetrons » 28 Aug 2013, 10:36

capdetrons wrote:
rjgtav wrote:
capdetrons wrote:

Hello, rjgtav, sorry for all the posts. I'll watch the way I post my questions in the forum... I don't have to tell you, I haven't read the forum's rules and I apologize. I was used to so many other forums out there where you opened a new thread with each problem you encountered. Sorry again.

No, I don't get the Javascript alert, but I don't think i can connect. Unless it is due to the chrome explorer because I tried leaving the server running for a while and accessed my site from a public internet place with no luck. In my PC I have my local's chat.swf ip point to the local ip: 192.168.1.10 and in my site it points to the global ip. In the admin console I see and am able to exchange messages with all the users. The flash player settings manager is correct as well...

I don't know what to try.

Excuse my ignorance again. Is it the server needs to be run as a service?
rjgtav

Postby rjgtav » 29 Aug 2013, 10:13

Don't worry ;)

SmartFoxServer Pro doesn't support UDP so you don't need to forward the ports on the UDP protocol.

I'm not understanding exactly what is the current issue that you're facing.
From where are you not being able to connect? And is there any scenario where you can already connect?

Thanks
capdetrons

Postby capdetrons » 29 Aug 2013, 12:18

Hi, rjgtav,

As you can see, my knowledge of all this is low. It's all confusing to me and sometimes I'm not really sure how to depict my problem.

I run the server and have my local chat.swf point at my local ip; 192.168.1.10, correct? The one in the internet points at the global ip; the one I have ssigned that day. If I try this scenario from my PC, I see both users in my admin console, but I phoned a friend to connect the other day while I was logged in and he couldn't make it. Therefore my asking if a public or private netwok connection is needed or running the server as a service had any relevance as well.

I think I have managed to open some ports from windows firewall eventhough it is administered by Norton's and I will try again today...

Right now I'm trying to set version 2X and see if I can understand better watching the video tutorials, but I would like to understand the part about running the server as a service on a private or public network .
capdetrons

Postby capdetrons » 31 Aug 2013, 14:28

Managed to find out that my ports are well configured. My chat's swf points at :80.174.194.16 and my root file points at: 192.168.1.10. Everything seems to run I have connected from my site and from my local file. Can exchange messsages and see them both in my administrator's panel in the Hall chat zone. Does this mean my serveer is up and running? I can't walk down to connect from another PC nor can I call a friend at this very moment, but the last time he connected with very similar settings to these, he couldn't log in.

Please help, I'd like to have my chat running sometime before next week
rjgtav

Postby rjgtav » 10 Sep 2013, 01:42

Hello again, I'm really sorry for not being available the last days.

How's the status on this issue?
Have you already managed to solve it?

One way to find out if your server is accessible from the internet is to, from the AdminTool, connecting to your public IP (the one provided by whatismyip.org). If it works, then your SFS is publicly accessible.

Thanks
capdetrons

Postby capdetrons » 14 Sep 2013, 23:01

Finally got it to work. Thanks for all.
rjgtav

Postby rjgtav » 15 Sep 2013, 13:35

Ok, good :)

Return to “SmartFoxServer 1.x Discussions and Help”