I was wondering...

Need help with SmartFoxServer? You didn't find an answer in our documentation? Please, post your questions here!

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

nacho

I was wondering...

Postby nacho » 26 Mar 2005, 21:18

Hi Lapo and company!
I was wondering some questions about the socket server. I wish you could answer me.
There is an option of purchasing the server with unlimited connections.
Well, the inmediate question is: "How many connections does the server support?" It is well known it is not easy to manage more than 1000 connections.
How have you tested it? I mean, how have you manage to get thousands of computers working for you?
Do you use TCP or UDP protocol for communications?
Which language have you used for programming it? Java?

I don't know if I make too many questions. As Lapo already Know, my partner and I are interested in the product.

Best Regards.
Webmaster of MaganicWars.com,
Role Playing Games
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 27 Mar 2005, 08:43

Hi Nacho,
sure we have tested it. This project was born during summer 2003 and since that date we've done dozens of different tests for stability, performance etc... To tell the truth we've spent more time in testing than developing ... or so! :shock: :lol:

Anyways, tests were conducted using different machines with stress test applications that can run many hundreds of connections at once, this way we can have thousands of real clients banging the server with requests.
Since most of these tests were run in local network we also used network limiters to test different conditions of traffic congestion etc...

About performance numbers you can read some of our benchmarks HERE

SmartFoxServer uses TCP because Flash does not currently support UDP

Yes

I don't know if I make too many questions. As Lapo already Know, my partner and I are interested in the product.

No worries, we've added this forum just for that purpose... answering questions! :)
Lapo
--
gotoAndPlay()
...addicted to flash games
ImmenseTurmoil

Postby ImmenseTurmoil » 27 Mar 2005, 14:45

Lapo wrote:No worries, we've added this forum just for that purpose... answering questions! :)

Which is why i'm here! yay! Lapo helps me out alot :D
WyldKarde

Postby WyldKarde » 25 Apr 2005, 19:05

I had a qustion as well and since it follows along the lines of this current thread, I ifgured I'd toss it in here.

Awhile back, I had the idea to make a MUD with a Flash client. Everyone's been saying that a MUD with graphics would either not be a MUD or an unplayable piece of garbage so I figured here was something worth trying.

Well, I made the MUD and decided to just slap a Flash client on and, shortly thereafter, found out it wouldn't be quite that easy (imagine that...I can't just slap a complex multiplayer game together). There were no tools to support Flash shouldering that kind of workload.

Until I popped my head in here.

Not being a Flash Developer (I sucked too greatly as an artist to give it an honest chance) it took some hunting, but I found it and now I cling to it like a bouy in a storm-tossed sea.

My question is...essentially...what do I need to learn so that the completed work runs smoothly. I already scrapped C++ for Java (unless there's something about Linux and Flash no one's telling me) and I'm looking at SmartFox to carry the day. What do I need to know before beginning a Multiplayer Project that incorporates Flash and your fine product. Up until now, my games were only as pretty as Telnet could make 'em (which is...in fact...pretty durn ugly).

But with the nice folks at macromedia and the nice folks here, I'm hoping to change that.
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 26 Apr 2005, 09:43

Well,
if you're completely new to flash and multiplayer stuff you should take it easy and start from the basics.
A good book or two would also help speeding up the learning process.

We reviewed a couple of very good books over at gotoandplay() >> http://www.gotoandplay.it/_reviews/bookReviews.php

On the multiplayer side, SmartFoxServer was already designed to introduce multiuser apps from the beginning.
You should take your time with it and start from the first examples. You will be guided through each sample step-by-step.

For any questions you can ask in this board or over at gotoandplay.it >> http://www.gotoandplay.it/_forums/

hope it helps :)
Lapo

--

gotoAndPlay()

TonyHsieh

? Support for UDP in ActionScript 3.0 / Flash 9

Postby TonyHsieh » 24 May 2006, 19:07

Lapo wrote:Hi Nacho,
sure we have tested it. This project was born during summer 2003 and since that date we've done dozens of different tests for stability, performance etc... To tell the truth we've spent more time in testing than developing ... or so! :shock: :lol:

Anyways, tests were conducted using different machines with stress test applications that can run many hundreds of connections at once, this way we can have thousands of real clients banging the server with requests.
Since most of these tests were run in local network we also used network limiters to test different conditions of traffic congestion etc...

About performance numbers you can read some of our benchmarks HERE

SmartFoxServer uses TCP because Flash does not currently support UDP

Yes

No worries, we've added this forum just for that purpose... answering questions! :)

With the advent of better socket support in ActionScript 3.0 / Flash Player 9, will you support UDP?

If so, when?

Thank you for your time!
-- Tony
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 24 May 2006, 19:44

hi, nope. UDP won't be supported, only TCP as usual :?
Lapo

--

gotoAndPlay()

pileated

why?

Postby pileated » 24 May 2006, 20:40

Care to share any reasons for this? Seems like a big feature to ignore?
Virusescu

Postby Virusescu » 25 May 2006, 05:59

Quote from some site:)

Why TCP
- tcp guarantees three things: that your data gets there, that it gets there in order, and that it gets there without duplication. (the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth...)
· routers may notice tcp packets and treat them specially. they can buffer and retransmit them, and in limited cases preack them.
· tcp has good relative throughput on a modem or a lan.

Dissatvantages of UDP
- there are no guarantees with udp. a packet may not be delivered, or delivered twice, or delivered out of order; you get no indication of this unless the listening program at the other end decides to say something. tcp is really working in the same environment; you get roughly the same services from ip and udp. however, tcp makes up for it fairly well, and in a standardized manner.

· udp has no flow control. implementation is the duty of user programs.

· routers are quite careless with udp. they never retransmit it if it collides, and it seems to be the first thing dropped when a router is short on memory. udp suffers from worse packet loss than tcp.

For further reading about TCP vs UDP for data transfer (I know it's not exactly the same but you can see the advantages) here's the original article - http://www.laynetworks.com/Comparative% ... %20UDP.htm

The answer seems preety obvious to me. I'm curious why would you need such a feature pileated. Why do you think it's such a big feature. Maybe I'm missing some advantages, besides multicasting that may be used for streaming media in a streaming media server (wich SFS is not).
function onJoin(usr) {if (usr.getName() == "Lapo") trace ("All Hail Lapo");}
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 25 May 2006, 06:16

Actually UDP is considered "faster" than TCP, and in many cases it actually is, but at the cost of no guarantees of packet delivery.

Many commercial realtime MP games, like UT, Quake etc... make large use of the UDP protocol to send continuous updates that are faster than with TCP.
Of course this means that you will need a pretty sophisticated "smoothing algorithm" that handles those lost packets etc...

In general UDP would be helpful for realtime stuff, even if there are great examples of how realtime games can be created using TCP exclusively
Lapo

--

gotoAndPlay()

Return to “SmartFoxServer 1.x Discussions and Help”