Director MX and Smartfox Pro

Need help with SmartFoxServer? You didn't find an answer in our documentation? Please, post your questions here!

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

Carl

Director MX and Smartfox Pro

Postby Carl » 01 Feb 2007, 04:22

I've read here that Smartfox can be used with many socket applications. i intend to use it with Director. I did a search on this site and didn't see anyone else talking about doing that.

I plan on embedding a Flash object into Director, and relaying commands and information to Smartfox through the Flash object. My initial tests show that this should work fine.

I'm wondering, is there a better, or more direct way to do this, or is this the best approach? If I wanted to make Director communicate directly with Smartfox, would I have to make an Xtra?
Carl Lydon
Illustrator, animator, programmer
----------------------------------------
www.gametrust.com
www.chamberofchat.com
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 01 Feb 2007, 07:10

Hi,
I think that embedding a flash object inside your Director project is the easiest and most convenient way of doing it.
I don't think that the internal communication between Director and Flash would generate any significant overhead.

Connecting directly would involve a lot more work, because you'd need to deal with the SFS protocol, at a lower level.

hope it helps
Lapo
--
gotoAndPlay()
...addicted to flash games

Return to “SmartFoxServer 1.x Discussions and Help”