Won't wear item

Need help with SmartFoxServer? You didn't find an answer in our documentation? Please, post your questions here!

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

Tree Line 1

Won't wear item

Postby Tree Line 1 » 02 Apr 2011, 07:38

Hi guys.

I have an inventory almost fully working. Theres 1 problem though.... You can't wear items. When you click an item it gets added to the inventory. When its in your inventory though and try to wear the item it doesn't.

On the avatarMC I have some MC's. Head, hand ect for where the item go into. Then I put the picture of the item in the ceratin MC and in the main chat frame code, it tells it to wear the items.

Can someone tell me whats wrong? Is it to do something with the PHP? In the php its telling what items there are
ext0sus

Postby ext0sus » 02 Apr 2011, 08:41

Without knowing how you implemented the inventory system, something like this is practically impossible for us to fix remotely.

Are you getting any errors? Or is it just failing silently?

If it's the latter, you're going to have to do some investigating.

I was going to explain a load of debugging features of Flash but this article does a better job than I ever could. That might help you find the solution to your problem.

I would start by looking at your click event handler and see if it's actually doing what it's supposed to do (assuming you click an item to equip it).

As a programmer, you'll spend more time Debugging than writing actual code. Afterall, problem solving is the whole point, isn't it? ;)
Tree Line 1

Postby Tree Line 1 » 02 Apr 2011, 08:49

ext0sus wrote:Without knowing how you implemented the inventory system, something like this is practically impossible for us to fix remotely.

Are you getting any errors? Or is it just failing silently?

If it's the latter, you're going to have to do some investigating.

I was going to explain a load of debugging features of Flash but this article does a better job than I ever could. That might help you find the solution to your problem.

I would start by looking at your click event handler and see if it's actually doing what it's supposed to do (assuming you click an item to equip it).

As a programmer, you'll spend more time Debugging than writing actual code. Afterall, problem solving is the whole point, isn't it? ;)

Well, it doesn't say anythings wrong when i test it.... I have tried many things. Changing around the code ect Im using the iList to store the items and i think the flash code is right... Could it be the PHP or not?
ext0sus

Postby ext0sus » 02 Apr 2011, 08:58

Honestly, I'm not sure. There's thousands of ways to create an inventory system and the way I would do it is bound to be different from the way you would do it.

It could be the PHP. That's where debugging comes in, you'll have to find out where the problem is before you can fix it. I can't tell you where to look since I didn't structure your program - I have no idea how it works.

Other than pointing you in the direction of debugging techniques (like the link in my last post), there's not much anyone can do to help - unless you count looking through your entire source code and finding the bug for you (which is all well and good until the next bug rears it's ugly head).
Tree Line 1

Postby Tree Line 1 » 02 Apr 2011, 09:15

ext0sus wrote:Honestly, I'm not sure. There's thousands of ways to create an inventory system and the way I would do it is bound to be different from the way you would do it.

It could be the PHP. That's where debugging comes in, you'll have to find out where the problem is before you can fix it. I can't tell you where to look since I didn't structure your program - I have no idea how it works.

Other than pointing you in the direction of debugging techniques (like the link in my last post), there's not much anyone can do to help - unless you count looking through your entire source code and finding the bug for you (which is all well and good until the next bug rears it's ugly head).

ok, thanks for the help

Return to “SmartFoxServer 1.x Discussions and Help”