Newbie to this Thing: Is it possible to do this?

Need help with SmartFoxServer? You didn't find an answer in our documentation? Please, post your questions here!

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

jin8k

Newbie to this Thing: Is it possible to do this?

Postby jin8k » 08 Jan 2007, 16:48

Hello,

I am very new to this programing, I would like to know if what I want to do is possible with the SFS.

I would like to create a multi-player game in flash, whose swf will be shown on numerous users' computers anywhere, and they move the objects in the swf, which then will be shown in real-time on all the swfs.

Basically, client swf will have different objects which can be moved by the user, and the server must get the position of the objects and change the positions of the objects on other swfs by other users... all in real-time, or quasi real-time.

Please let me know, before I go deeper in trying SFS.

Thank you!!!
And Happy 2007!
Carl

Yes, it is

Postby Carl » 08 Jan 2007, 21:27

Absolutely that's possible. I wouldn't be hard for someone who has decent Flash scripting skills and has taken a week or so to go through the tutorials and manual.

Basically, you'd need to use one of the example files to create a lobby system (so people can log into the server and join a room) and then use the "sendobject()" command to send an array containing the item that needs to be moved, and the new position to move to.
Carl Lydon
Illustrator, animator, programmer
----------------------------------------
www.gametrust.com
www.chamberofchat.com
patso

Re: Newbie to this Thing: Is it possible to do this?

Postby patso » 09 Jan 2007, 05:48

jin8k wrote:And Happy 2007!

Hi and happy 2007 to you too.

jin8k wrote:I would like to create a multi-player game in flash, whose swf will be shown on numerous users' computers anywhere, and they move the objects in the swf, which then will be shown in real-time on all the swfs.

Basically, client swf will have different objects which can be moved by the user, and the server must get the position of the objects and change the positions of the objects on other swfs by other users... all in real-time, or quasi real-time.

Of course you can. SFS(smart fox server) allows very easy and rapid development of such type of applications. Something more - in the tutorials are shown some(two I think) examples that are very close to what you want to make.

I can give some advices:
* read the docs. And read the on-line docs since there are some errors that are correct in the online docs and they are most current.
* read the tutorials. No matter that there is API docs and so on, some aspects are exaplained in the tuturials better.
* read the forums. I'm not sure this is good advice. Many thinks are related to the 1.4 or earlier versions. There some changes in 1.5(not only new features, but also some changes in the old ones). Lapo mention some about security improovements, dead chanells policy, but didn't explain what exacly is the difference. I say this beacuse some of this topics are discussed in the forum, but they may have changed in 1.5(and to use the case to ask Lapo again what are the changes).
* if you need help just ask.

I hope this information is helpful for you.

Return to “SmartFoxServer 1.x Discussions and Help”