SFS connection problems (startup with 0 threads)

Need help with SmartFoxServer? You didn't find an answer in our documentation? Please, post your questions here!

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

Virusescu

SFS connection problems (startup with 0 threads)

Postby Virusescu » 07 Sep 2005, 11:17

Hello everybody, found this forum too (was posting on gotoandPlay 'till now).

I guess this is a more appropiate place for me to post.
I have a very weird situation with the SFS startup part.
I worked on my computer with SFS and everything was fine, 'till I wanted to put it online. Bad thing is that I don't have an external IP so I needed to install the SFS PRO (demo version - for testing) on another computer.
There is nothing out of the ordinary with that pc, only thing is that SFS doesn't starts well. It writes

[EventWriter] started <0 threads>

It acts the same on that machine even if I configure it to start on LocalHost. Obviously, with 0 threads started, the admin tool doesn't work eigther.

The computer doesn't have a firewall, dosen't had apps like ZoneAlarm installed on it, the internet connection works just fine.

With the same configuration, my computer responds with the policy file if I telnet to my local address, but on the other computer (the one with the external address) it just acts weird.

What could be the problem? The SFS doesn't display any error. What may be stopping the EventWriter to start correctly.
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 07 Sep 2005, 15:52

I think you have inadvertedly modified the server core settings.
Open the config.xml and look for these tags:

Code: Select all

<OutQueueThreads>1</OutQueueThreads>

By default you should always use 1

It represents the number of threads that will work on the output data queue. The default settings is great for all single CPU and dual CPU systems. It might be raised when using 4 or more cpus to better take advantage of parallel execution.

:)
Lapo
--
gotoAndPlay()
...addicted to flash games
Virusescu

Postby Virusescu » 08 Sep 2005, 10:35

Yesss... of course you are right again. :oops:
I don't know how I ended up modifying the config file, but there was a lot missing from it.

Anyway, I ran into a new (bigger, meaner) problem :(
It's not about the sandbox issue...

I created an extension for SFS and all worked almost fine (except my 3.5 tons of bugs with whom I almost became friend :D).
When testing the client.swf on my computer, I always tested it using the flash player browser. Problem first appeard when I uploaded it online, because I had to make a html container. After setting up the cross-domain-policy for my clients to load the file directly from the server everything apparently worked fine... BUT
There are now problems even in the chat part that came with the server (advanced chat). Users enter the room and sometimes (not allways) they can't see other users in the room (not even themselves) - I guess the onRoomListUpdate isn't received properly. Anyway, this doesn't happen with all the clients connected with the same version of the swf. Only to some of them and unfortunately this seems very random :(.
I finally discovered that the clients don't work on my PC eighter if I display the swf embeded in a HTML. It's not a browser problem eigther (or it is) because I tested it with IE and Firefox.

Sometimes in the game room where the extension gets activated, it seems that some of the messages don't arrive well.
It seems like some of the extension messages don't reach the users if multiple messages of the same type are sent repeatedly and fast.
This really seems like a packet loss, although I can't explain it why it happens when testing it form a browser window on my PC (the same Pc where the server is installed)
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 08 Sep 2005, 10:48

Are you using the latest SFS PRO 1.2.5 ?

The reason of that problem was discussed in another thread >> viewtopic.php?t=97

The examples coming with version 1.2.5 use a better event handling sequence and got rid of that issue.
Lapo

--

gotoAndPlay()

...addicted to flash games
Virusescu

Postby Virusescu » 09 Sep 2005, 11:35

Thank you for your answer.
I was using the latest version but I had a lot of bugs as it turned out after 2 hours of debugging.
The bugs are now gone. I feel so dumb.

Thank you again

Return to “SmartFoxServer 1.x Discussions and Help”